The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the weather is warming up here, I plan to use my own uded veggie oil as a fuel additive and lubricant. It's already gone through a 100 micron water separator filter. I'd like to final filter the oil through coffee filters since they're cheap and readily available.

Anybody know the micron rating of a standard coffee filter? I'll be using the #4 conical ones.

Thanks,

Al

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Probably not enough, use either old denim pant legs, nylon stockings or a whole house water filter.

Those should get you down to the 10 micron range.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd stay away from nylon stockings, denim jeans work good. I sew them up with a sewing machine and stick one leg inside the other, making a double bag filter, and hang them over a barrel and pour veg oil in them, it's kind of slow, but it does a good job

·
Registered
188 Posts
I use a whole house filter , the filters have micron rateings on them so you can get what ever you size your looking for. I looked for cheap filters then got what ever canister they fit. I didnt care how much the filter houseing coast. The houseing is a one time buy ,, but the filters is what i will be replaceing a LOT. Check differant home stores, like Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, the same filter at one place can be twice as much at the other store. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
495 Posts
The answer to your question is: about 20 microns, for a plain jane coffee filter.

MH
Tim

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The answer to your question is: about 20 microns, for a plain jane coffee filter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm 20 microns? How much better would my coffee taste if I pumped it through a 1 micron sediment filter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif BTW, I won't be needing to dewater it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts