Truck Information

2011 Ford SD F-250 4x4 Crew Cab
XLT 156" WB Styleside
6.7L V-8 Diesel
6 speed Auto trans
3.55 locking Axle
10,000 GVWR Package
LT275/65R20 tires

When I bought this new I got great milage driving and or towing but over the last 3 years with each service visit to ford for Warning lights and EGR issues my milage has tanked. We went on vacation and the truck averaged 7 mpg at best, we stopped 2 times at dealers to have it checked out and was told everything was just fine. I was pulling a 28' 2015 Cyclone 5th wheel Toy hauler with 3 ATV inside, no water and no fuel on board. I traveled from Denver CO down to Albuquerque NM then west to Flagstaff AZ 755 miles and I went through 100 gallons of diesel.

I have had past issues with the EGR light, and the factory has replaced once at my cost and once at the dealer cost and it's been reprogramed and updated.

I cant keep this up, I talk to people that are hauling bigger loads and getting 12+ mpg (they have programers) I plan on installing a Cold Air Intake but have No clue what Cold Air and programer to get. I need to get better milage

in town and Hwy milage 8 to 18
towing, 4 to 7

I'm out of factory warranty with 70, 055 actual miles

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I pretty consistently get 10-11 mpg towing. And it really doesn't matter what the weight is. I've towed 16,000 lbs 4H LQ trailers and got 10 and turned around and towed an empty 4h at 6,000 lbs and got 10.5 mpg.

Wind and rolling resistances seems to be a much bigger issue than weight of the trailer. In one trip across North Dakota fighting a head that I really didn't notice while in the truck driving, I just about ran out of fuel, because I expected my tank to reach my normal fuel stop and instead, I got 7 mpg and had to stop some 30 miles short of the city I was planning on. And ran out of fuel while waiting my turn at the fuel pump.

Best of luck in your search for what might help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Your milage is not normal for our trucks. I just completed a 3400 mile trip pulling a 11000 pound 5th wheel and the average for the trip was 12.5 mpg. It was a combination of mountain driving through Washington,Oregon,Idaho,Colorado,Wyoming and Montana. About 500 miles of that was not towing anything. I have 3.31 gears and a lot of the time I locked out 6th gear. I get around 18 empty. Headwinds make a big difference. I can get as low as 8-9 mpg towing with strong headwinds. I have 85,000 miles on the truck. Find a good dealer and hopefully they can find out what is wrong. My truck is completely stock.

Good luck

·
Registered
74 Posts
Agreed, your mileage isn't to what I see towing my 36 5th Wheel at 12 - 13,000 lbs. My average mileage has been around 11 when towing and this includes both Cascade and Rocky Mountain passes. Interstate towing without head winds easily 12 MPG. Rolling resistance definitely effects MPG from a 12 ft box trailer, or my 7500lb boat the mpg drops but not as much when towing the heavy 5th wheel.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have to agree that something is amiss. :sick: While you search out a good dealer, you should also check your trailer. Is it sitting nose high and catching air? Remember your have the wind resistance of a brick towing a bigger brick, so wind is not your friend. Are your trailer tires wearing evenly? Poor trailer alignment will reduce your mpg as well as cost you tires.
Just a couple of suggestions but stay on FORD's case. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Surface area makes a huge difference, so does height. I can't help but think the taller tires aren't doing you any favors.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Surface area makes a huge difference, so does height. I can't help but think the taller tires aren't doing you any favors.
65 series tires are actually shorter than 75. But shorter tires are going to mess up your numbers even if the actual mileage doesnt change. Speedometer will read lower miles traveled thus lower fuel milage. :icon_wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your milage is not normal for our trucks. I just completed a 3400 mile trip pulling a 11000 pound 5th wheel and the average for the trip was 12.5 mpg. It was a combination of mountain driving through Washington,Oregon,Idaho,Colorado,Wyoming and Montana. About 500 miles of that was not towing anything. I have 3.31 gears and a lot of the time I locked out 6th gear. I get around 18 empty. Headwinds make a big difference. I can get as low as 8-9 mpg towing with strong headwinds. I have 85,000 miles on the truck. Find a good dealer and hopefully they can find out what is wrong. My truck is completely stock.

Good luck
Thank you for the information, I'm going to borrow a cod reader and see what codes (if an show) i will not delete them then head to the dealer tomorrow to see what they say.
Thank you for your time.
Gary

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed, your mileage isn't to what I see towing my 36 5th Wheel at 12 - 13,000 lbs. My average mileage has been around 11 when towing and this includes both Cascade and Rocky Mountain passes. Interstate towing without head winds easily 12 MPG. Rolling resistance definitely effects MPG from a 12 ft box trailer, or my 7500lb boat the mpg drops but not as much when towing the heavy 5th wheel.
Taking back to the dealer (again) tomorrow and see what they say, I will post the dealers info when I get it back, Thank Your for your time and trouble.
Gary

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The tires on the truck are the exact size that i got when i bought it new, same make and model, Great point made, Thank you for the info, I will look into this and get back with you.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I make almost the same trip you just did twice a year.
winter I get 6.9 , I am guessing this is due to winter diesel , in the summer I get 10.5
I have a 1 ton so it has 3.73 regears and my RV is a 43ft toy hauler loaded lightly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fuel issued SOLVED !!!!!!!!!

Thank you one and all for ALL your great info. Here is what has happened.
Took the truck Back to Ford to see what was going on, On the way there I stopped at AutoZone and use a code reader JUST to check and see if there was any codes, NONE reported. got to Ford and was told there would be a 5 day wait to get into the shop for a diagnostic and the cost was $175.00 just to look.
Got an appointment, went in, They said that there was NOTHING wrong. I went to a Local diesel shop here in Parker CO. called "Diesel Repair & Performance" They did a full diagnostic on the truck for $125.00 and guess what, They found that the EGR program was wrong and was way out of date and was not communicating correctly with the transmission AND the oil was a quart over and it was because of diesel fuel.
They re-flashed with all the proper software, ran the truck on the dynamometer to test, changed the oil, filter, greased the truck, cleaned the interior for $255.00. The truck is a rocket, and back to getting GREAT milage (14 in town and 23 on the hi-way going out to the airport. I will be hauling the trailer this weekend and I will report back.

As for Ford, I went back with all the results, they refused to refund my money. I told them that they will regret that and went home. I took all my paperwork over to a neighbor who works for Fox News (Fox31) It's amazing what will happen when a news crew shows up at a dealership. I got a full refund of that work, a full refund of the prior service work where they showed they updated software and 4 free oil changes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would never known to do this but I am soooooooooooo happy this worked out for you. Guess a bit of TV glare can work wonders.Makes all of us wonder if where we take our trucks are not doing their job or even KNOW how to do their jobs. Congrats to you for not taking this crap lying down. Trisha

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I first saw the post I was thinking about how my '04 only gets 10-12 mpg but I realized that you have a 2012. That might be a problem because the 6.7's are supposed to have good fuel economy, that is for a truck...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you one and all for ALL your great info. Here is what has happened.
Took the truck Back to Ford to see what was going on, On the way there I stopped at AutoZone and use a code reader JUST to check and see if there was any codes, NONE reported. got to Ford and was told there would be a 5 day wait to get into the shop for a diagnostic and the cost was $175.00 just to look.
Got an appointment, went in, They said that there was NOTHING wrong. I went to a Local diesel shop here in Parker CO. called "Diesel Repair & Performance" They did a full diagnostic on the truck for $125.00 and guess what, They found that the EGR program was wrong and was way out of date and was not communicating correctly with the transmission AND the oil was a quart over and it was because of diesel fuel.
They re-flashed with all the proper software, ran the truck on the dynamometer to test, changed the oil, filter, greased the truck, cleaned the interior for $255.00. The truck is a rocket, and back to getting GREAT milage (14 in town and 23 on the hi-way going out to the airport. I will be hauling the trailer this weekend and I will report back.

As for Ford, I went back with all the results, they refused to refund my money. I told them that they will regret that and went home. I took all my paperwork over to a neighbor who works for Fox News (Fox31) It's amazing what will happen when a news crew shows up at a dealership. I got a full refund of that work, a full refund of the prior service work where they showed they updated software and 4 free oil changes.
you said oil was a quart over and it was because of diesel fuel. what do you mean it was because diesel fuel?

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
If the regen process is not performing right then it does many extra regens. During the DPF regeneration extra fuel is injected just to create a burn in exhaust to raise downstream exhaust temps in order to burn soot down to ash. When the system works as designed the fuel that gets into oil during the waste fuel injection is minimal and doesn't elevate crankcase oil level. With extra and extended DPF regen cycles the oil level can rise due to accumulated fuel.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
The control unit download process differs with different manufacturers. Some use a more complicated and longer process where the vehicle is interrogated and then a file is checked against a manufacturer database file and the software is selected nd then sent to connected PC for loading. After loading there is a post check and a completion log file sent back to database. Others send updates to the dealer PC and the updating to current software is done locally with little or no validation by the diagnostic system. (Guess which one Ford uses) I now see why the tedious system used by the car maker I work for never has these type problems. But do the techs ever complain at long download times when their broadband speeds aren't good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts