The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, even though the truck in this article is a 2000, it's got a 7.3L powerstroke in it and that's what we're all here typing about.
This midwestern truck now has over 1,148,000 miles on it!

-- Sixty-seven-year-old Gerald Myers was behind the wheel of his 2000 Super Duty diesel truck early one cold January morning when something unforgettable happened.

“The odometer went to all zeros,” recalled Myers enthusiastically.

"I was on the phone with my wife. She and I counted it down as it rolled," said Myers, who runs his own small package delivery service. "She was that excited with me."

Myers says his Super Duty truck is his livelihood. He and his harvest gold pickup, which is covered with a fiberglass cap, begin their daily 12-hour delivery route in Ft. Wayne, Ind. From there, they head to Indianapolis and then to Chicago before heading back to Myers' home in Roanoke, Ind.

“It's a phenomenal truck," he said. "I put 4,800 to 5,200 miles a week on it, and it's never let me down."

Every Monday morning like clockwork Myers and his Super Duty visit Hartley’s, a small independent garage in Roanoke, for a routine service check.

“The truck is serviced and gone through completely every week,” he said. “That’s just the way I maintain it.”

Myers made a recent pit stop at Trier Ford in Columbia City, Ind., to show off his ride. He was talking to one of the salesmen when Grant Trier, owner of the dealership, happened to walk by.

“I stuck my head in the truck and I said, ‘Wow, this truck is pretty clean for 148,000 miles,’” recalled Trier. “And Myers said, ‘You better add a one to that.’"

Trier says he was confused.

"But then Myers said, 'It's not 148,000. It's got 1,148,000 miles on it,'" he said. "Honestly, I thought my jaw was going to hit the ground."

“They could not believe it,” said Myers. “So I got a service record out and showed them the odometer reading.”

“We’ve had some people who used to pull trailers and things like that come through here with 300,000 or 350,000 miles on their trucks but never a million miles,” said Trier.

With that said, however, Trier says anything can happen when a vehicle is maintained the right way.

“I think that if they’re serviced properly, driven properly and not abused, today’s Ford products will absolutely surprise people to death,” he said. “I think that the distance the vehicle will go will be just astronomical.”

Myers says he’s been driving Ford trucks for as long as he can remember. These days, the majority of his life is spent on the road with his harvest gold-colored Super Duty. He says he loves listening to country music when he’s driving – Toby Keith and Kellie Pickler are his favorites. And though he travels the same route day in and day out, he says he never tires of the drive.

“It’s my life. It’s all I do, and it’s what I’m comfortable at,” he said. “Even though you’re on the same road, every day is different.”

After a million miles, is Myers ready for a trade-in? No way, he says.

“I’m gonna keep running it until it just dies in the middle of the road,” he said. But he doesn't expect that to happen any time soon. “Right now, it’s running smooth.”

·
Registered
312 Posts
I know of another million mile stroke. I beleive the truck was a 95' F-350 4 door dually. The guy hauled boats from Cape Cod to Florida(Fuzzy Bottom Boats). My buddy is the shop foreman at the dealership and did most of the maintanance on it. Last I heard International gave him a new engine, so the million mile stroke could go in to there museum. If you do enough poking arround on there site I believe you can find it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hmmm....

<ul type="square">[*]I'd love to see the service record, I wonder what hard parts have been changed?
[*]Driving 5,000 miles a week, does he change the oil every Monday??
[*]If his moving average is 70mph during his trip, he drives 68 to 74 HOURS a week. I nominate him for an Iron Ass award! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif
[/list]Fun statistics
<ul type="square">[*]Changing his oil at 5k interval = 230 oil filters and 803 gallons of oil!
[*]15mpg = 76,533 gallons of fuel
[*]If he gets 50k out of a set of tires, he's purchased 88 tires. At 5k per week, he stops at the tire store for a new set of tires every 2 1/2 months. [/list]

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I'd love to know what kind of oil he's run, what brand of filters, if he has a bypass filter system, how many crank position sensors, and what kind of tires he likes the best after having 20 odd sets!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm....

<ul type="square">[*]I'd love to see the service record, I wonder what hard parts have been changed?
[*]Driving 5,000 miles a week, does he change the oil every Monday??
[*]If his moving average is 70mph during his trip, he drives 68 to 74 HOURS a week. I nominate him for an Iron Ass award! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif
[/list]Fun statistics
<ul type="square">[*]Changing his oil at 5k interval = 230 oil filters and 803 gallons of oil!
[*]15mpg = 76,533 gallons of fuel
[*]If he gets 50k out of a set of tires, he's purchased 88 tires. At 5k per week, he stops at the tire store for a new set of tires every 2 1/2 months. [/list]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since His miles are all highway I bet He's getting closer to 100,000+ miles per set of tires. I had 117,000 on some Firestone Wilderness AT's when one went out of balance and I replaced them with Bridgestone Dueler AT's. My truck only has 294,500+ but I've done something like 108 or 109 oil/filter changes every 3000 miles.
Also, pretty tough to average much over 60-65 mph even on the Interstate if Your stopping frequently at all. My car has "Average MPH since last reset" and normally running 72-75 on a 120 mile roundtrip commute 90-95% interstate I'll see 60 MPH because of the 1-1/2 mile city traffic on one end and 3-1/2 mile country roads on the other end.

Impressive truck none the less! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
I call BS as well. Hauling boats loaded both ways with as few stops as possible I have never been able to hit that many miles in a week. That is driving 40+ hours at a wack sometimes.

Most I have ever done in a ten day run was Seatle to Phoenix to NJ south shore to Syndey NE, to Walden NY, to Youngstown OH, to Laconia NH. That was a little over 6K when it was all said and done.

Plus he has numerous pick-ups and deliveries.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I know of another million mile stroke. I beleive the truck was a 95' F-350 4 door dually. The guy hauled boats from Cape Cod to Florida(Fuzzy Bottom Boats). My buddy is the shop foreman at the dealership and did most of the maintanance on it. Last I heard International gave him a new engine, so the million mile stroke could go in to there museum. If you do enough poking arround on there site I believe you can find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back in '98, I seen this truck while I was at Meadowland Ford in Secaucus, NJ. At that time, I believe he had 250K on it. He told the same, hauls boats from RI to FL.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
One of my uncles company trucks is a 95 with 650k on it...

I know at 450k it still had the original auto in it, Not sure if they have replaced it yet or not

Travis

·
Registered
103 Posts
When I was looking to buy my PowerStroke found one at a dealership with 708k. It was a nice looking truck but at that mileage I had to pass it up. Probably still had another 300k left in the Ol' girl.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My uncle has a 450k IDI Turbo and a 350k PSD... a Hotshotter I know has over a million on his '90 Dodge Dually.

I suspect my uncle will continue to run the fords until the motors go up... he replaces the transmissions every 80-100k. He kills trannys pretty quick tugging skid steers all the time

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.