The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that my 2011 F350 4x4 needs brakes according to the dealer. Only having 40K miles on it seems like that might be a bit soon so I thought I'd check the thickness of the pads myself. I have no shaking or any other issues with the brakes right now.

With that being said, I'm looking for the minimum thickness allowed for the pads. Does anyone have that dimension? Also, just to be clear is that the thickness of the brake material not including the metal backing plate?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
According to the 2014 Ford Service DVD, these are the specs for minimum thickness. I assume this does not include the metal the brake material is bonded onto.

Brake Pads

F-250, F-350 and F-450 Pick-up
Brake pad maximum taper wear (in any direction) 3.0 mm (0.118 in)
Brake pad minimum thickness 3.0 mm (0.118 in)

Rotor thickness is listed below.

F-250, F-350 and F-450 Pick-up
Front brake disc minimum thickness 36.4 mm (1.433 in)
Rear brake disc minimum thickness 36.4 mm (1.433 in)

What was the thickness reported by the dealer? It is not uncommon for the OEM pads to wear out sooner than after market pads.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Not sure why this was moved from the 2011 & up forum but I feel like it was moved in error. This is good information that pertains to the 2011 and up trucks. It is not a miscellaneous question but specific to the 2011 and up trucks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have 6mm font and 4mm rear according to the dealer (42000 miles).

The dealer wants $350 per axle with oem pads, which really seems high to me. They won't accept the motorcraft coupons because the dealer says that is for 2wd only.

Oh well, not sure where else I feel comfortable to take the truck other then the ford dealer.....aaaarrrrrrggggg

Not sure why the post was moved either since it was a specific question. They changed specs for this year range. Again oh well.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Front pads on Amazon are $62 [ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006DYZRV4/[/ame]
Rears are $54 [ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006DYZT12/[/ame]
If you enter your VIN here, you can confirm those PNs:
Official Ford Parts Site

That's without a coupon, but there are several here if your dealership chooses to participate:
Coupons and Rebates | Services | Official Ford Owner Site

But brakes are not something that requires a dealership. Any competent shop can do a good brake job, especially if you supply those MC pads. You can also mic the rotors yourself so you'll know if you have to supply them, too. Use a pointed mic to measure the deepest groove (THINNEST measurement), then subtract 0.01" and compare that to the MIN THK dimension that's cast into the rotor.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Brake parts are one place I would not want to be looking for a bargain. Yes, any competent shop can perform a good brake service provided they use quality parts. I recommend OEM because we have nearly zero problems. Customers that come in with brake issues on newer trucks typically have non-OEM parts installed that don't always fit properly or there are clips or slide pieces missing... some folks expecting us to warranty non-OEM parts installed elsewhere. Not gonna happen.

As noted the minimum brake PAD thickness is 3mm and I do not think 40,000 miles is too soon to require new brakes. It largely depends on the type of driving you do and the terrain you do it in not to forget frequent towing or hauling. What is measured is the lining material only and this does not include the steel backing.

Reactions: chuckster57

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Brake parts are one place I would not want to be looking for a bargain. Yes, any competent shop can perform a good brake service provided they use quality parts. I recommend OEM because we have nearly zero problems. Customers that come in with brake issues on newer trucks typically have non-OEM parts installed that don't always fit properly or there are clips or slide pieces missing... some folks expecting us to warranty non-OEM parts installed elsewhere. Not gonna happen.

As noted the minimum brake PAD thickness is 3mm and I do not think 40,000 miles is too soon to require new brakes. It largely depends on the type of driving you do and the terrain you do it in not to forget frequent towing or hauling. What is measured is the lining material only and this does not include the steel backing.

Very well said!!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Brake parts are one place I would not want to be looking for a bargain.
I guess you're made of money; I look for bargains anywhere I can get them.
...non-OEM parts installed that don't always fit properly or there are clips or slide pieces missing...
First: I don't think anyone has suggested using aftermarket-brand parts.

Second: OEM is a meaningless term. Ford buys parts from MANY manufacturers, so even if you limit it to OEM brake pads, that still includes many brands. But just because a manufacturer supplies parts for an assembly line (which is all OEM really means), that doesn't mean that EVERY part they offer meets assembly-line standards. So if your Mustang came from the factory with Brembo brakes, Brembo is OEM. But not every pad Brembo sells is necessarily the same quality; they might not even be made by Brembo.

Same for whoever made your truck's original pads (possibly Bendix). That mfr. might offer 20 grades of brake pads, ALL of which would be OEM (because they come from an OE manufacturer). But NOT all would be OE-quality.

And if Bendix or Brembo supply OE brakes for even ONE vehicle EVER, then EVERY part they make or label can be called "OEM" because that term only refers to the company - not the parts.

"OE" (original equipment) refers to the parts. But the only places you can buy OE parts are in the showroom, on the lot, and at the JY. You can't buy new, loose OE parts anywhere.

The closest you can get are manufacturer-branded replacement parts; in this case, Ford/MotorCraft. But the fact that they're in a Ford/MC box doesn't mean that they necessarily came from the same mfr. as the OE (assembly-line) parts did, or that they meet the same standards & specs. Usually, the specs have been revised several times, and replacement parts are improved over OE parts. (And aftermarket-brand parts can incorporate some of those same improvements.) All it means is that those parts meet CURRENT Ford specs, and that their mfr. is paying Ford a licensing fee to use a Ford logo on the box.

Both of my Amazon links above are for MC pads.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Well I guess you told me! :nono: I wasn't replying to you necessarily but to the OP and making a generalized statement. No need to git yer knickers in a knot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I guess my biggest grip was the fact that ford wants $350 and axle and yet the "ford" site is promoting motorcraft brakes and has a coupon for $180 per axle and isn't specifying only 2wd and yet my 2 ford dealers won't except them and are saying you want oem vs motorcraft brake pads anyways. I always thought oe and motorcraft were all one in the same.

Since I do tow, I'd rather have "ford" on the hook for the brake job if something goes wrong.

I probably can get by with the 6mm on the fronts and just do the 4mm ones on the back but it seems like I might as well do all at once.

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I guess my biggest grip was the fact that ford wants $350 and axle and yet the "ford" site is promoting motorcraft brakes and has a coupon for $180 per axle and isn't specifying only 2wd and yet my 2 ford dealers won't except them and are saying you want oem vs motorcraft brake pads anyways. I always thought oe and motorcraft were all one in the same.

Since I do tow, I'd rather have "ford" on the hook for the brake job if something goes wrong.

I probably can get by with the 6mm on the fronts and just do the 4mm ones on the back but it seems like I might as well do all at once.
I looked up that brake discount coupon online and the text says "Restrictions apply. See dealer..." So I guess the dealer can invent whatever restrictions they want. :frown2:

There really isn't much difference in brakes between 2WD and 4WD, so I'm wondering why they say that. :shrug03:

The front brakes do most of the work, so I'd be more inclined to do both front and rear in your case, than trying to "get by" on the 6mm fronts.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I always thought oe and motorcraft were all one in the same.
OE parts arrive at the assembly line in minimal packing, ready to be installed THAT DAY. Not in the retail packages with MotorCraft emblazoned across them, ready to sit on a shelf for months. MC is just the Ford-authorized direct-replacement parts label.
I'd rather have "ford" on the hook for the brake job if something goes wrong.
Then pay them to do the work, and tell them what pads you want. If they say the pads you specify are substandard, they may note on the work order that they disclaim liability for the pads. But if they take your money, they're still liable for the work being done properly no matter what parts you choose for your vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts