The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For probably a year the coolant level in the reservoir bottle would run an inch low ever month or two. Topped it off each time. I made a 1000 mile trip and the coolant was 2 or 3 quarts low. I can't find any leaks. If the coolants going out the exhaust, how's it escaping? No coolant in the engine oil, can't see any oil in the coolant. Thanks

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
When was the last time you changed the water pump? I started losing coolant at about 100k miles on the truck. There weren't any drips on the ground, or on the oil pan underneath, but I would have to top off coolant every couple of months. I finally took it to my mechanic to take a look at. He told me that when the water pump first starts leaking, its such a small amount that it evaporates before it can hit the ground, or gets thrown back under the truck motor as you're driving. I went ahead and had him change the water pump, and the leaking stopped. I only have to top it off an inch or so every 6 to 9 months now.

just my .02 cents worth

short_stuff

·
Premium Member
14,671 Posts
Mine does the same thing. It will stay one inch low all year long, but as soon as I fill it to the "full" mark, it will slowly work its way back to its happy spot. I've used dye, spent hours dabbing paper towels and searching with a flashlight - no leaks. It just doesn't like being that full. I quit fighting it years ago.

Reactions: rv6a and jleedog

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Mine does the same thing. It will stay one inch low all year long, but as soon as I fill it to the "full" mark, it will slowly work its way back to its happy spot. I've used dye, spent hours dabbing paper towels and searching with a flashlight - no leaks. It just doesn't like being that full. I quit fighting it years ago.
Same here, about 1” lower than factory mark. I just used a black permanent marker and a straight edge to draw a 1” line at the level it likes.

Never had any noticeable loss of fluid in the years since then.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Funny, mine does the same the thing. I tried keeping it full but it always kept itself at the level it seems to like. Can't find leaks and nothing in the oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine is the same way, shouldnt there always be at least some in the reservoir even when it's hot? Just had my 2005 6.0 turbo in to have the coolant system inspected for leaks and they could only find one at the egr delete kit which they fixed. But still after I ran it 75 miles today, the reservoir is empty with the engine still hot. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,411 Posts
Mine is the same way, shouldnt there always be at least some in the reservoir even when it's hot? Just had my 2005 6.0 turbo in to have the coolant system inspected for leaks and they could only find one at the egr delete kit which they fixed. But still after I ran it 75 miles today, the reservoir is empty with the engine still hot. Any ideas?
When the engine is hot, the coolant tank level should be higher than when the engine is cold due to thermal expansion of the coolant.
Does the level come back up when the engine cools off? If so, it may be air in the system, otherwise, you have a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update. I checked the levels this morning and it did not come back up. I'm wondering now if maybe a bad thermostat could cause the system to lose coolant out the degas bottle?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts