The Diesel Stop banner

More on Rules

2K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  Piney 
#1 ·
Let's try this again. Some people don't seem to understand the rules and policies on Ford-Diesel.Com. For the most part, our users behave accordingly. There are a few troublemakers though that get mad when we moderate their posts. Click on the Register link at the top of the page for a refresher (you agreed to them when signing up). Above and beyond that, use a little common sense here. People seem far more willing to post things on the Internet that they would never dream of saying in public. The Ford-Diesel.Com servers are sitting here beside me in my den. When you use the site, you are in essence coming into my house. I expect you to abide by our rules just the same as if you were sitting in my living room. Remember that next time you post something that violates our membership agreement.

Attacks on moderators and administrators will not be tolerated. The moderators are unpaid and willingly give their time to help keep the site enjoyable for all users. Please remember that in your dealings with them. Attacks on myself or other moderators will result in a warning followed by more serious actions.

Thanks,
Jason

------------------
Ford-Diesel.Com Webmaster
2000 F-350 Crew Cab Dually Lariat 6-speed 4x4
Black/Tan 4.10LS Fully-Loaded

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Jason, don't you realize that when you edit a post you are stealing from that poster? Like a thief in the night. I would like to see a reason why a post was edited. For instance, bad language, or sexual inuendo, or racist comment. Not just an "edited by". .....boondocker

#3 ·
After reading several different threads in this forum, and seeing the same names everytime, it reminds of what I tell my guys who are habitual complainers... "If you are not happy and all you are going to do is *****, please leave. You are making me unhappy, others unhappy, and yourself unhappy. I did not ask you to come to work here nor do I keep you here against your will. You come here everyday by you own choice. We are all here for one purpose, and it is not to suit your every whim and desire. We are way to busy here to put up with this bs everyday. If you are not happy, please leave, find some place that you enjoy being. All of our lives will be better for it."

[This message has been edited by Johnboy2 (edited 07-25-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Johnboy2 (edited 07-26-2000).]

#10 ·
Howdy friends.....
Admin and Mods - You will always be the target, that's a given. But, you have a job to do and don't back down...You have the support of the majority... Each person here is responsible for their words..While some must be forced into this responsibility, the majority respectfully accept it..Those that must be forced typically are the biggest whinners..
Hang in there boys, your doin' a great job...

------------------
99.5 F-350 SC,LB,4x4,XLT, Superlift 2",Rhino Liner,Mag-Hytec Dif Cover, BFG 285x75x16, LTD Slp, 6SPd, Weatherguard Box
Rob's F-350

#13 ·
I recently got an e-mail from a moderator about my thread entitled "synthetics, just no damned good". I got it 4 days after the thread was started and after the last post on it was made. No expanation as to why, just a quote of the title, a quote of the membership agreement and 'kindly refrain from this in the future' or something like that. A more thoughtful and specific message may have been more effective and I would have found it alot easier to take.

I am assuming that the word "damn" was the problem since the crux of the title of the thread was just to get the attention of certain folks which was obvious if you read the post. I replied to the moderator that I had assumed that anything that wouldn't be censored in the media was okay here and that I had seen worse.(IMO, including this thread). Since he never responded, I would like to hear from you if I was in error in assuming this? I myself have used worse words which I thought were okay and have seen alot worse from others and this is the first e-mail I have recieved from anyone.

If my assumption was incorrect, maybe there should be more specific rules as to what is acceptable. It would leave less doubt to those that post and would maybe make the moderators' job easier if they are worried about anything at all that can be construed as offensive. Obviously, not everyone's opinion on what is objectionable is the same. If a word as mild as "damn" is a problem, it will double the time most folks take to post so they can comb their posts for anything someone might find offensive.

#14 ·
Why is it so hard to refrain from swearing? I have over 2000 posts and I have only slipped up once or twice. It really is not that difficult to avoid objectionable language.

Words such as the ones mentioned do not offend me either, but here is a question for the last poster - if those words are OK, then which ones are not OK? Do we need a list of forbidden words? Or do we go by what offends an individual moderator and have an uneven moderation policy across the forums since as I hinted at, what offends one person might not offend another? From a site policy point of view, I think one that asks people not to swear is a good one. It removes the issue completely and requires that members not use coarse language, to the betterment of the site.

As for the media, I guess that when I hear Tom Brokaw swearing in the course of a broadcast, then I'll agree on the pervasiveness of the phenomenon. Kinda depends on the media you mean, eh?

The letter you rec'd sounds fairly straightforward - it probably should have mentioned the specific objection instead of leaving it to your imagination, but no one likes being moderated and will most likely take it amiss anyway. I seriously doubt that an e-mail message that asserts authority will EVER be welcomed by the members here - as someone said before, a person who drives a diesel is a non-conformist by nature and asserting authority over such a person will never be an easy task. Sounds like the letter was what it should have been - firm, courteous, professional. That is about all you can reasonably request from someone telling you that you are not abiding by the rules. As my boss used to say when he has had to become "official" with me - "if you want a massage with that as well, stop by the Holistic Health Center on your way home." Meaning that business is business and should not be taken personally and he was unwilling to boost my ego or sugar-coat something that was essentially my fault to begin with.

------------------
Kevin

[This message has been edited by kreynol2 (edited 07-28-2000).]

#15 ·
The government issued a list of seven (later revised to ten) banned words to George Carlin. Maybe Jason should post his list of banned words also.

------------------
Here today, gone tomorrow. That's the way of life.

#16 ·
Apparently the only official list of banned words are those that the forum software automatically reformats with a string of asteriks, such as pet****, so if it's not censored by the software, then maybe it's not an officially objectionable word (at least not objectionable to Jason, who's opinion is of the highest importance).

In my opinion, any word that is included in a standard dictionary should not be considered objectionable, since it's apparently been accepted as an official part of the english language. Words that are included in a standard dictionary (visit www.m-w.com ), but are considered objectionable, may only be objectionable to the moderator who responds, however, if the word is in a standard dictionary, and the forum software doesn't automatically censor it, then shouldn't it be allowed as an official part of the english language? The word mentioned above certainly falls into this category.

Steve.

------------------
Is it possible to be totally partial?
'99.5 F350 CC DRW LWB Lariat, APCM, Triple Gauge Pillar, Transfer Flow 50g Aux Tank, Pullrite 25.5K, Turbo Temp Monitor, Stull Grille. Click here to check out my PSD pictures!

[This message has been edited by spepin (edited 07-28-2000).]

#17 ·
ANY word in a standard dictionary? NO WAY!

You can find a raft of pretty darn rough words in the site you listed, including an old Anglo-Saxon word denoting procreative activity, slang terms for various body parts, and much else. Just because we have a definition for it does not mean that it is not objectionable to the larger part of the public!

You should also note that most of these words, while showing up in the dictionary, have a note beside them stating that they are considered vulgar. For the record, vulgar means:

Main Entry: vul·gar
Pronunciation: 'v&l-g&r
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin vulgaris of the mob, vulgar, from volgus,
vulgus mob, common people
Date: 14th century
1 a : generally used, applied, or accepted b : understood in or having the ordinary sense
<they reject the vulgar conception of miracle -- W. R. Inge>
2 : VERNACULAR <the vulgar name of a plant>
3 a : of or relating to the common people : PLEBEIAN b : generally current : PUBLIC
<the vulgar opinion of that time> c : of the usual, typical, or ordinary kind
4 a : lacking in cultivation, perception, or taste : COARSE b : morally crude,undeveloped, or unregenerate : GROSS c : ostentatious or excessive in expenditure or display : PRETENTIOUS
5 a : offensive in language : EARTHY b : lewdly or profanely indecent synonym see COMMON, COARSE
- vul·gar·ly adverb

I direct attention to the fifth definition, which would apply here.

Siskel and Ebert vote two thumbs down on the idea that since a word shows up in a standard dictionary that it is acceptable for polite conversation!

------------------
Kevin

[This message has been edited by kreynol2 (edited 07-28-2000).]

#18 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JDME:
Maybe Jason should post his list of banned words also. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin is right, as usual. Just don't use swear words on this website. Remember your first grade school teacher? Don't use words that she wouldn't have used in front of the kids.

We want to keep this website suitable for our children and grandchildren to read - perhaps over our shoulder. So salty or "adult" language is not allowed in the forums.

Regardless of how mispelled or camoflaged, the "salty" or "gutter" language words are not allowed in the forums on Ford-Diesel.com. If these words are included in topic titles, I'll immediately delete the topic. If these words are included in the text of posts, I'll either edit or delete the post.

And yes, Jeff, I agree with the moderator who sent you the e-mail. You could have titled the topic "synthetics, just no good". Adding the swear word did nothing to communicate your idea.

[This message has been edited by SmokeyWren (edited 07-28-2000).]

#19 ·
Okay, Kevin -- I'll give you that one -- but only when it relates to words that are denoted as vulgar. The website I linked is Merriam-Webster, one of the largest (if not the largest) and most standardized dictionary publishers in the world. Please note that the entry for the word in question here is not denoted as vulgar or offensive in any way.

Perhaps he should have used the synonym execrated.

------------------
If a persley farmer is sued, do they garnish his wages?
'99.5 F350 CC DRW LWB Lariat, APCM, Triple Gauge Pillar, Transfer Flow 50g Aux Tank, Pullrite 25.5K, Turbo Temp Monitor, Stull Grille. Click here to check out my PSD pictures!

#20 ·
While I'm all for keeping this site as "clean" as possible, especially considering the fact that some members are under the age of 18, I am appalled at the idea that the word "damm" is associated as being an offensive swear word. Does it really matter whether you say "dang it" rather than "dammit" if the meaning for both phrases are the same? If the idea is to influence behaviour, than why is it acceptable to accept one word over another if the meaning is the same? I have always tried to use the phrase "Gosh-Darn It" over the phrase it replaces. I still mean the same thing, but it doesn't offend anybody. If people really thought about it, they would still be offended.

When all is said and done, I guess you have to draw a line in the sand somewhere. It's much better to be consistant than to try and decide on word to word basis which can or cannot be used. In that respect, I agree with what the moderators and administrators are trying to accomplish here and think they are doing a great job.

#21 ·
Steve:

Actually, the standard reference would not be Merriam/Webster, but the Oxford English dictionary, which offers the following:

5 Used profanely (chiefly in optative, and often with no subject expressed) in imprecations and exclamations, expressing emphatic objurgation or reprehension of a person or thing, or sometimes merely an outburst of irritation or impatience.

However, that same source goes on to cite another definition further on, which states that the usage noted here is merely unconventional speech, not necessarily vulgar speech. So the usage, not just the word, is to be considered in determining whether it is vulgar or not. Some usages are, some are not. Used in the sense of invoking a curse, it is not offensive. Used as an oath or imprecation, it is offensive.

So in the interest of fairness, I'll give YOU that one, Steve!

Anyway, as I stated, I am not offended by the usage, but that is just me. My Mom is, so I don't use that kind of talk around her. Obviously, then, the level of offensiveness of certain speech is dependent on the user. To avoid offense, I can understand a policy that states that no such words will be used. It really is such a small thing, to use language that is considered polite.

As Mark alludes to, it is all about custom and usage and social acceptability. Cursing just is not socially acceptable yet, thank goodness. And we have a smoother, more genteel site to interact on because of that fact!

------------------
Kevin

#23 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
It gives the false impression that the poster has some modicum of control over what he/she may post.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the only real control necessary is self-control.

------------------
Kevin

#24 ·
Personnally, the word "excrement" just sounds awful to me--yuck! I'd have to say that the word it is chosen to replace is a lot less tasteless, but that is just my humble opinion. True, it might be a more "educated" term to use, but it just sounds so much more graphic. I truly hope folks don't chose to express themselves with use of that word.
I always figured that the editor installed in this program did a good job of keeping things "clean" (with the exception of the mention of "pet****").
BTW, i think i mentioned it before, i am not easily offended by salty language--to me it is just words--be they a poor choice or a good choice--they are a reflection of the user. Even Shakespeare utilized a great deal of "color" and inuendo in his writings.
Lets just not get too self righteous, that will only stand to make a lot of us "independent-minded, diesel driving guys (and gals)" all the more indignant.
Anyway, just my .02.

------------------
Ken
95 F-250 SC LWB 4x4, XLT, 4.10, E4OD, Rancho 9000's, Superlift Add-A-Leaf, Warn manual hubs.

G
#25 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jthorpe:
Carl,
If you don't like the site, you always have the option of leaving and starting your own. It's that simple, ya know?
Jack
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love this site!
There is no other site in the world that offers so much good information on the PSD. I learn something new about my PSD every time I visit this site. I wear my F-D.com ball cap and have front and rear F-D.com license plate frames. (And I charge Jason absolutely nothing for this advertising service. Geez, talk about getting something for nothing). ....boondocker

------------------
00F350,NVK5,XLT,PSD,4X4,3.73LS,SRW,Crew,Shorty,Auto,Ford-Diesel.com ball cap and 2 Ford-Diesel.com license plate brackets.

#26 ·
"Knowingly" modifies the word false, not the other words following it. That means you shouldn't post things that you know are false trying to give someone inaccurate information (e.g. "Put water in your diesel to really smooth out the engine"). The other words and information following are just common sense. I don't see the benefit in arguing over this. Like someone said, if Tom Brokaw doesn't say it on the nightly news, you shouldn't be saying it on here.

Just FYI, I don't agree with Smokey's post about substituting those words for vulgar words. In my opinion that is just as bad and makes the site look like some medical reference site. I asked Smokey not to post that list as it is not the opinion of Ford-Diesel.Com that you should substitute those words. Smokey is entitled to his opinion as a user however.

Jason

------------------
Ford-Diesel.Com Webmaster
2000 F-350 Crew Cab Dually Lariat 6-speed 4x4
Black/Tan 4.10LS Fully-Loaded

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.