The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after much trial and error I've finally gotten to a new set of problems with starting the old 7.3. New battery's, new alt, new gp, new gp controller and relay, new oil pan heater and cord. Plug the truck in at night and at work during the day (temps are around 0°F). Cycle glow plugs 3-4 times and try to crank and it's the slowest turn over possible, it starts speeding up but doesn't fire, turn the key off, turn key to on again and she fires right up everytime. Doesn't matter if she's ice cold or been running half the day and only shut off for 20 min. What could possibly be the problem here?

·
Registered
283 Posts
My thoughts? Weak starter, or she needs an oil change, or both.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Bad starter, if it draws too many amps the injectors won't fire. If you have it plugged in you should not have to cycle the glow plugs. DENNY

Reactions: CrushRepeat

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I threw a new starter in last weekend and she's been running great again but this morning I tried starting her and right before she fired there was a loud knock then sounded normal again. Is this something else I should be concerned about? Seems I fix one problem to find another. 🤞

1 - 5 of 5 Posts