The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had what I thought was a huge problem with my dads truck that I have running on w85 2 weekends ago. We were 1500 miles from home when the smoke started. What I think I did was not add enough rug, I had filled up the transfer tank with strait WMO and was planning on adding rug to the truck tank and fill up with WMO but I didn't add enough for a whole tank. We were going to SC to pick up a 40 foot 5'er and do a little camping while we towed it home. When we got to where the 5'er was the truck was smoking so bad that I thought the truck was blown up. It was way down on power. I ended up running the smoking tank all the way down and putting a half a tank of diesel in. I towed the trailer with strait diesel and beat the hell out of it and it started gaining power, by the second half tank of diesel the truck was no longer smoking and was about 90% power back. It has been getting more power since driving around town for the past few days. It is now back on a WMO mix, I'm not sure on the mix but it has a good about of diesel on top of the 15% rug.

After talking to a friend that runs w85 mix and tows heavy weight, he said that his egt's will go crazy high while on w85. He tows 2 big mud trucks on a 40' gooseneck trailer and will see 1600 on his gauge in his cummins. I only towed the trailer for a little bit on w85 but he was saying be careful without an egt gauge. Anyone else running w85 run into high egt's while towing?

·
Premium Member
15,236 Posts
I've never been above 1000°. Considering the melting point of aluminum is 1221° F., I hope your friend has steel pistons in his Cummins...

·
Registered
593 Posts
In my powerstroke I have seen 1300 for only a very short (seconds) period of time. This in only because I understand that aluminum has high energy transfer and will pull the 1300*F heat away relativly quickly for a short period without melting.. NO WAY would I ever want to see over 1400*F in my engine!!! A cummins may have steel pistons but that is still pushing it IMO simply because you are dramatically reducing the friction properties of your main engine oil at that point.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
The PSD has a very robust cooling system. I have never been over 1100 on W80 no matter what I try. I have wanted higher temps to try to cure the smoking problem and can't get there because I'm going so fast I will go to jail if they ever catch me. i had to get a tuner to cure the mosquito fogger blues.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am planning on going the tuner route with DP-tuners and the w85 tunes. I havent gotten that far yet though. I am also going to install a couple guages in my dads f350 for when he is towing the 5'er so he doesnt burn it up. I put w85 in his truck today and no smoking issues so far. From what i am guessing, I didnt add enough rug and the injectors werent atomizing the fuel properly and it was building up on the piston and cylinder. After me running the truck hard on strait diesel it cleared out all the carbon that had built up from the thick fuel and is now running correct. I havent ever run into that with my truck because of the FASS. The FASS pump wont pump the oil unless it has at least 15% rug in it. The pump will loose prime as soon as I shut it off.

I was also discussing with my friend about the high egt's in his cummins and he isnt adding enough rug to it. He starts to lean out when he gets to higher rpm's. He is only running the stock mechanical lift pump. I think that is causing higher egt's and there is alot more energy in oil than there is in diesel.

·
Registered
593 Posts
If I can offer a word of advice - I used to think that adding more RUG would solve the smoking problem. However, I have also heard that many people have run WMO thinned with kero and had little/no smoking issues and the had issues when they started running a RUG blend. I am going to be switching my system over to 10% RUG and thin the rest with kero or blend 50/50 with D2.

I have been running 15% RUG and mixing 25-50% D2 and have had zero smoking issues in the past month. I can also continue to run my stock tunes without any issues.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont have any somking problems if I add 15% rug, this happened by not adding enough rug. It might have had 5-7% rug in it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Max

I am on the same track as you on the mix. This spring I had a barrel of W83 premixed that was setting there all winter. I put in 5 gal of D2 and 5 Gal of D1

So far it seems like a great improvement over last year when the answer was always "add more rug"

I think we may be hitting on somthing here. I am getting what i want without a programmer - amazing so far. We will see, got a 2000 mile road trip coming up next month. :lookaround:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Henry, so far blending with kero and mixing partially with D2 has fixed all my smoking issues. Before I was following the "add more RUG" method and had absolutely no luck that route. I wanted to get a programmer but just couldn't justify paying out the 600+ for the new tunes I would want.

·
Registered
25 Posts
See that's what bothers me. My last batch I ran 5 gal of RUG and 5 gal of Kero for a W80 mix and still smoked like a train...

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you are smoking like a train you need to run straight D2 until it clears up... just adding more RUG will not fix the problem once smoking starts. Also, I did not have smoking issues with W85 really until I started towing. Something between cruising and towing makes a big difference for some reason.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
When I started smoking heavy, I had to run D2 until it cleared up. Since I put in the tuner, I just have to drive it on the road for a while. Nothing fancy nothing hard, just drive it down the road at highway speeds.

·
Registered
593 Posts
When I started smoking heavy, I had to run D2 until it cleared up. Since I put in the tuner, I just have to drive it on the road for a while. Nothing fancy nothing hard, just drive it down the road at highway speeds.
So even with the tuner you will see smoking if it idles for a long time?

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Yes, I will develop smoking issues if I idle too long. Nothing like before the tuner and nothing that lasts any length of time if I take it out on the road. Any amount of road driving and it is clear as air at idle for a short period.

I never mix fuel in the truck. It is always blended in a tank before going into the truck tank.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where I messed up and had the smoking issue is from trying to mix in the truck tank. We were on a road trip and I wanted to bring as much oil as possible so I filled the transfer tank with strait oil and was going to add gas to the tank. That didnt work so well. Wont be doing that anymore!

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
I started smoking yesterday after two days of idling and hauling stuff around the farm. Took it on the road for a 12 mile trip and by the time I drove the 12 miles, it was as clean as could be.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts