The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out a shake/vibration that the truck has at idle. I have ruled out the injector pump, fan clutch and a couple of other common issues. I'm suspecting motor mounts.

How do you know if they're bad and need replacing? Cost for parts and where to get them? Labor costs? (I don't think I want to tackle this myself) Worth it to get Motorcraft parts?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
usually you push on the motor with a big bar while inspecting the mount. for a big heavy engine, you'll need to push underneath it with a jack.

I would buy the cheapest motor mount that didn't scream crap

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
You might want to rethink the motor mount theory. More than likely you've got a mis-firing rough running engine at idle. The mounts can be completely shot and with a smooth running engine you shouldn't feel an excess vibration.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Just to add a little, pushing up with a floor jack on the oil pan on these heavy engines can crush the pan.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Yes, if you are a douchenozzle and you overjack the engine, you can crush the pan. But if you have two brain cells to rub together and you put a nice piece of lumber 'twixt jack and pan, you're not going to have a problem.

I have transported two IDIs in the back of my F250 sitting on their pans, braced with tires and lumber. Crushing the pan is not a realistic concern unless you are a tooly mctoolbag.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Setting an engine on a tire in the back of a truck is a whole lot different trying to push up on the pan with the transmission and accessories attached. The use of something to spread the load will help, but seeing as how you didn't reference that point, one can only infer you didn't think it necessary.

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
Yep, not the safest thing, but with the right type jack I'd use the right length 2X6 and line it up vertically against the row of pan bolts on one engine side to raise it temporarily. That way you are actually jacking against the block rather than the pan bottom. NOT the thing to do if you've got your hands up working in that area.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
You bend that pan up a 1/4" and you can block off the oil pickup screen, it's that close to the bottom. Shops charge about $95 to $125 per hour, go from there, get a quote.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I think it's necessary to know how to use a jack without causing damage and which end of a wrench does what before you own an IDI-powered Ford, or any vehicle of this vintage.

And giving advice on a forum should include any and all factors for proper use and procedures.

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
You bend that pan up a 1/4" and you can block off the oil pickup screen, it's that close to the bottom.
I realize his Eminence has preached that countless times, but do you know that for a fact? I've pulled pans off about every breed of truck engine and never found the pickup screen anywhere near 1/4" from pan bottom. The sludge buildup is usually not much less that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts