The Diesel Stop banner

mountain tranny problems help!

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  up2nogood 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 f350 psd w/auto tranny while pulling my 9,000lb. trailer up in the mountains the transmission got up to 230 deg. measured on the pressure side. after checking the fluid it no longer reads on the dip stick,somehow i lost fluid. any suggestions on how the fluid escaped and is it toast?It still pulled me into camp at yellowstone but I'll be headed for some fluid asap.

#2 ·
Fluid just boiled out. Better to change out your fluid altogether, get an additional inline cooler and add a Transgo tugger kit as fast as you can. You might get a few more miles out of your tranny. When it really goes south, get a Suncoast TC and tranny. No more problems. I have 140k on mine.

www.suncoastconverters.com

#3 ·
Like Pappy said, you got it too hot and the fluid puked out. Crawl underneath and see if the bellhousing is wet with tranny fluid. There is a T/C front seal that fails and leaks a lot of fluid out at the inspection hole on the bellhousing. Kinda a common place for tranny fluid leaks. I had the same problem with my last PSD truck (an '99.5 truck) pulling a 5'er up in Yellowstone 2 years ago. I went through the east entrance from Cody and that's one heck of a slow crawl straigh up the mountain - with construction going on. Mine leaked fluid but was able to refill it at the campground and it held until I got back to Sheridan WY to have the stealership replace the seal.

You probably need extra cooling for your towing rig when pulling mountains like the ones you're in right now. I travel these big hills all the time and I watch my temps like a hawk.

Sorry for the vacation problem but welcome to TDS. This is a great place to find help when you need it.

#4 ·
A tugger kit is what that trans needs, as it will only get worse. Bigger better trany cooler will help a little bit, but it wont be the cure.

BTW, change the fluid. It is now junk, its burnt and toasted. Spend the money for new, and if you can swing the cash do a synthetic. 230F is death to trany fluid.

#6 ·
Get a 6.0 cooler you can pick up a new one on ebay for around 150.00. Much bigger and better cooler, its a bolt up fit, bolts to same holes your stock cooler bolts to, Some adapting on the lines, the 6.0 has 1/2 fittings, the 7.3 has 3/8, but no big deal. I can explain how I did mine if needed, pretty easy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.