The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has an opportunity to get a metal lathe for free - but we're not sure how to move it. Getting it into my truck is no problem because he can use the fork lift at work (where the lathe is located) but once we get it to his house we're stumped. We need to figure out how to lift about 1500 lbs of lathe out of my truck, and then move it into his garage. There is a slight step (about an inch) where the driveway meets the garage floor so we'd have to get it over that as well.

Any ideas? Anybody in the San Jose/Campbell area have a fork lift we that would fit in a standard garage door that we could rent?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Steel pipes. Or about ten big friends. How about a chain hoist. Back up into the garage, lift it on the hoist. Lower it onto black steel pipe, roll it into position. Use pry bars to lift it off the pipes.

·
Registered
695 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
My son has an opportunity to get a metal lathe for free - but we're not sure how to move it. Getting it into my truck is no problem because he can use the fork lift at work (where the lathe is located) but once we get it to his house we're stumped. We need to figure out how to lift about 1500 lbs of lathe out of my truck, and then move it into his garage. There is a slight step (about an inch) where the driveway meets the garage floor so we'd have to get it over that as well.

Any ideas? Anybody in the San Jose/Campbell area have a fork lift we that would fit in a standard garage door that we could rent?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
Rolling engine hoist.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
Rolling engine hoist.

[/ QUOTE ]

And three or four guys.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Does a neighbor have a tractor?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Go rent a skid steer with forks. It should fit in the garage, and it should be able to life the 1500# as well.

Chris

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
We unloaded our metal lathe (~3k lbs I think) using a homemade crane. Several native oak 2X8s nailed together to make 4X8 as legs, 3 2x8s as a 6X8 for a crossmember. Come-along and chain for the hoist. Pipes under the lathe to roll it, crane to lift up 2 ft onto the platform. It worked quite well. We never were unsupported more than 2" verticaly to reduce the dropping risk. Once it was where we wanted it, we rolled it off the pipes. IIRC, it took about 4 hours to unload it. Yours should be easier since you're going down instead of up.

A bobcat would probably work for the headstock, pipes for the tail.
Definately use a trailer. I wouldn't even think of moving a lathe larger than bench size unless it was in a trailer.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies all - I'm going to have my son investigate renting a bobcat or a short fork lift. According to him the lathe is fairly small - it weighs about 1300 lbs according to the fork lift he uses at work and it will fit in my truck with no problems - the F450 has plenty of capacity! Getting it out is the issue - it has to fit into a regular garage with the old-fashioned "swing-up" garage door, then we have to position it where he decides he wants it in the garage. A short bobcat with forks or a fork lift sounds like the best solution.

·
Registered
444 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Some chain and a come along on the garage door beam a couple of 2x6 post to support it and an eye bolt less than $30 plus the beer we are gonna need pictures too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you can get it out of the truck, a pallet jack might get it into the garage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
375 Posts
Go rent a mini excavator for a couple of hours. You shouldn't even have to unload it from the trailer, just leave it strapped down and swing / lift with the boom and a chain. Set the lathe on the trailer towards the front and secure the bucket towards the rear... then just unload it the same way and use pipes or furniture rollers to position it in the garage.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replies all - I'm going to have my son investigate renting a bobcat or a short fork lift. According to him the lathe is fairly small - it weighs about 1300 lbs according to the fork lift he uses at work and it will fit in my truck with no problems - the F450 has plenty of capacity! Getting it out is the issue - it has to fit into a regular garage with the old-fashioned "swing-up" garage door, then we have to position it where he decides he wants it in the garage. A short bobcat with forks or a fork lift sounds like the best solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

It aint the F450 capacity that is the problem. Either you'll be unloading in the driveway with a huge drop to the ground and a fairly long roll/carry into the garage, or you'll be in the garage with only about 6" of head room above the lifting point (which the lift operator can't judge because it is directly overhead).
The trailer is not just easier, it's safer.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Why not trailer the forklift that you are going to use to load it with? Unload the lathe, and bring the forklift back?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
United rents JLG Triple-L (click me) Kneeling trailers. The trailer sits right on the ground. and you could back it pretty much into the garage where you want the lathe and roll it right out onto the ground.

I have a close personal friend that i do a lot of business with selling used machines with that moves 5-10 lathes, and Bridgeport type milling machines with a Triple-L trailer. You can load it on dolly's leave them on the dolly's just be sure to Secure the living heck out of it then roll it right off when you get to the garage.

Or i can give you the number of a guy that specializes in moving small lathes and equipment that has a forklift and his own rollback KW that would do it for around couple of hundred bucks depending on how far you wanted it to go.

IF all else fails i have a boom truck in Oakland and would be willing to help you out for my going rate PM for details.

Also most lathes that look to be about 1500 lbs. are usually more like 2,000 Lbs.

After reviewing the pics of your 450's bed setup i wouldn't even attempt to transport a lathe in the bed. lathes are top heavy as they come and your truck doesn't have the proper provisions to secure a lathe in the bed. Capacity isn't a question securement is. I have seen MANY MANY lathes and Bridgeport type mills RUINED, Destroyed and Thrown from pickups, van trailers flat beds without adequate securement.

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
True, those babies are real top-heavy. Something to bear in mind if you move it around by the bottom pedestal.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I had to move an ancient huge 1500 lb gun safe out of a basement a couple years back - ony way out was the basement hatch. Ended up hiring a rigger to do it. It cost $400, but it was out on a special pallet and done in a little over an hour.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Rent a truck with a power liftgate for the day.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
1500 lbs on a skid steer that high up in the air? Be careful, you will end up going over onto your face! I would try to put it on a trailer.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
You just have to have enough skid steer.

We regularly lift 2,000# of alfalfa off of a semi trailer with a skid steer. Granted we have rubber tracks, and that might help.

If I was doing the hauling, I would look for a lowboy trailer. Preferably a fork lift trailer( steel deck, low to ground), then lift it off with the skid steer, then put it into the garage.

I know the skid steer fits into a standard roll up garage door. not sure about a hinged door.

Chris

1 - 20 of 36 Posts