The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
After reviewing the pics of your 450's bed setup i wouldn't even attempt to transport a lathe in the bed. lathes are top heavy as they come and your truck doesn't have the proper provisions to secure a lathe in the bed. Capacity isn't a question securement is. I have seen MANY MANY lathes and Bridgeport type mills RUINED, Destroyed and Thrown from pickups, van trailers flat beds without adequate securement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could not agree more. Top heavy as hell. Watched one flop out onto the Interstate a couple years back, and the guy was going dead slow around the clover leaf.

·
Registered
485 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Rent a truck with a power liftgate for the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this idea the best. I've used this method with several large gun safes.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
United rents JLG Triple-L (click me) Kneeling trailers. The trailer sits right on the ground. and you could back it pretty much into the garage where you want the lathe and roll it right out onto the ground.

I have a close personal friend that i do a lot of business with selling used machines with that moves 5-10 lathes, and Bridgeport type milling machines with a Triple-L trailer. You can load it on dolly's leave them on the dolly's just be sure to Secure the living heck out of it then roll it right off when you get to the garage.

Or i can give you the number of a guy that specializes in moving small lathes and equipment that has a forklift and his own rollback KW that would do it for around couple of hundred bucks depending on how far you wanted it to go.

IF all else fails i have a boom truck in Oakland and would be willing to help you out for my going rate PM for details.

Also most lathes that look to be about 1500 lbs. are usually more like 2,000 Lbs.

After reviewing the pics of your 450's bed setup i wouldn't even attempt to transport a lathe in the bed. lathes are top heavy as they come and your truck doesn't have the proper provisions to secure a lathe in the bed. Capacity isn't a question securement is. I have seen MANY MANY lathes and Bridgeport type mills RUINED, Destroyed and Thrown from pickups, van trailers flat beds without adequate securement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this option best. I betcha Dualie could take good care of you.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Please let us know how you make out on this when all is said and done.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
My buddy with the Triple L/JLG trailer came by today loaded with a Bridgeport mill. After seeing that today i don't think there's a better way to even think about moving something like this without the use of heavy equipment. PERIOD.

Your best bet

·
Registered
375 Posts
Dualie, that's an interesting piece of equipment. I've never seen one before but it looks to be very useful for moving heavy items. Thanks for posting the link.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks, Dualie,

He's still thinking it over - right now his money is pretty tight since he's getting ready to get married in the next 6 months or so, moving into a new house, and building up his 1950 Plymouth rod...

But he's still talking about wanting that lathe - it's just sitting in a corner of the warehouse where he works not being used. It was replaced with a newer one several years ago and this one is just gathering dust. He's hoping it will stay there until he can get it home...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Get the lathe before someone else does. The wife will wait, and if she doesn't, there are many more of them out there than there are free lathes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Get the lathe before someone else does. The wife will wait, and if she doesn't, there are many more of them out there than there are free lathes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
But in the doghouse/on the couch is not a very comfortable way to spend a honeymoon, even if she will wait. She will have her revenge.

·
Registered
444 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
But in the doghouse/on the couch is not a very comfortable way to spend a honeymoon, even if she will wait. She will have her revenge.

[/ QUOTE ]

But he will have a lathe! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
kneeling trailer, and a set of the car dollies that Harbor Freight sells, roll it any where you want it, use a floor jack and cribbing to remove the dollies. Done in an hour. We build conveyors for Toyota that are 8 foot wide and 30 feet long, and weigh around 5k pounds, move them all over the shop and their plant with these. Never lost a wheel off of one yet.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Loan him the money Alan, what are father's for anyhow, just think of all the things you can make on that lathe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

OLDBULL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif

·
Registered
40 Posts
We moved a Bridgeport mill by hiring a flatbed wrecker. He used the winch to pull it up on the flatbed and strapped it down. When we got to the shop, he angled the flatbed into the shop and slid it off (using the winch of course). The we used a small farm tractor to push it across the concrete and the manhandled it into final possition. Used pry bars to lift and level it. No too bad. Pretty inexpensive too.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I own a machine shop and for lifting and setting small machines (less than 2500 lbs) I call a local wrecker service to unload from truck or trailer. First move the tailstock and carriage as far back as you can to help balance the weight, then get some lift straps and wrap them around the ways of the lathe. hook the winch cable from the wrecker to the straps and lift just enough to drive out from under it. Then set it on some steel pipes and roll into place. JUST REMEMBER, EASY DOES IT!!!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts