The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted this same thing just about everywhere. As well as had my van in a couple of high end diesel shops that just don’t know where to go either.

My 1998 E350 7.3 is a beautiful pristine condition Van. It got roughly 18.5-19 mpg driving 70-75 mph on the highway. All day, everyday. For me and for the original owner I bought it from. It’s a camper van and all it does basically highway drive.

I’m super meticulous about hand tracking my mpg. Randomly about 8 months ago I noticed the fuel gauge start to drop from full only a few miles after fill up. Normally it won’t move until atleast 50-70 miles. Sure enough I get about 15.5 mpg. And that’s where I’m at. It won’t change. Just happened “overnight”.

No it’s not winter fuel. Cleaning the EBP tube has to be a myth. No it’s not a 5 inch lift with 37s that I forgot to mention, and no 15-16 mpg is not “good for a 7.3 van”. Atleast not mine.

Ive heard IPR, ICP and all sorts of other things. Any ideas?
Please help me I’m losing my mind.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Other issues that I think about are: dragging brakes, loosing boost pressure through a leak, and my truck is very sensitive to which CPS is in it. Also, cleaning the EBP will have an effect, IF that's what's wrong, however, my EBP valve started sticking, so it got deleted.
The part where you say the gauge starts to drop from full right away could be: fuel gauge sending unit, or your fuel is going somewhere else, like into the coolant or oil from an injector failure, but I think that might give you other symptoms.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
When I am faced with a mystery issue in my work where all the usuals don't confirm, I have a diagnostic method that is usually the path to the problem.

I make a list of all symptoms and assumptions, big and small, those of others and myself, no matter who made them and or how certain I am, or others are, and treat them like they are incorrect until I prove them right.

I seem to be able to bypass my blockage frustrations

Even if it means starting over completely and unemotionally

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Where are you located? How do you know it is not fuel related? What is the axle gears? What RPM are you running at 75 mph?
DENNY

1 - 4 of 4 Posts