The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will need a muffler at some point to replace the original Ford muffler on my 88 E350.

What are my best options? My criteria, in order of importance are:

1. Fuel economy
2. Quiet
3. Ease of install
4. Cost

I have heard a lot about the Walker BTM but not sure if it would meet my criteria.

Anyone use Maremount OEM mufflers? It's $82 w lifetime guarantee from Autozone.

http://www.maremont.com/ProductFinder.aspx?action=AS

· Registered
4,723 Posts
Fuel economy and quiet are contradictory. The Walker BTM would require pipe fabrication and would be fairly loud, particularly on a non-turbo truck. I think I'd call the BTM more of a resonator than a muffler. It basically lowers the tone of the exhaust.

If you want something to bolt directly in place of Ford's round muffler, you are stuck with an OEM style muffler which will be very similar in noise and backpressure to OEM.

· Registered
2,080 Posts
Look around in the 'Upgrades & Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine' forum for people who have bought MBRP systems or magnaflow systems and then straight-piped them. They probably have a muffler in their garage that they'd like to get off their hands. You'd need a set of adapters from 3.5 to 4.0 inch diameter, but such mufflers flow much better than stock, but are quieter than a hollow shell like a Walker BTM.

· Registered
121 Posts
My Gibson is almost as quite as stock, but tons lighter, and way better performance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.