The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install a second backup camera for my goose neck ball. I have a flat bed and the ball is recessed down in a box that I cant see from the cab. I already have one camera (aftermarket stereo) and need a switch so I can at least swap the video signals. I can wire them so that both cameras come on if I need to.
What I am asking for is what the switch is called or where I can get it.
Am I making any sense? :|

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Your making perfect sense. I don't know of an external switch, but there are dash units that can accept at least 3 different video inputs, and you can toggle views on screen.
Standard equipment on the Tiffen Class A's I worked on.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found it! It's a 4 pole double throw switch. Seems so simple now. But thanks for the input. I didn't realise a diffrent head unit would do that.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
A 4P switch isn't necessary. The camera only has 2 poles (video signal & shield/ground), and only the video needs to be switched. So a single-pole (1P) is sufficient. Since you want to switch 1 monitor (common) between 2 sources, you need 2 throws (DT), so that's a SPDT (or 1P2T) switch.

But the video signal wire needs to be shielded from ambient RFI, even at the switch, so the switch needs to be mounted to a fully-enclosed metal box with 3 tubes for the cables to come in. Each cable's shield (woven sheath) should be slipped over the tube to create a continuous grounded metallic enclosure around the video signal wires. The 3 video wires (2 cameras & 1 monitor) go to the switch, and any other wires (IR lights, microphone, whatever) should be soldered to their corresponding wires in the other cables.

That's what a video switch box is, but it has quick connectors instead of tubes.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may find a video switch box instead.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is A website for everything... Thanks though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts