The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joined this forum in 2004. Original owner and rigs now got 70,000 miles. Got it Bullet Proofed in 2016 just before head gaskets blew. So far, things that have gone out and needed fixing are:
Auto 4x4 system
Shocks
Tie rods
Front leaf springs
Large rear window motor (from lack of use?)
Overhead consul compass / fuel use display................. which is still out

·
Registered
216 Posts
Joined this forum in 2004. Original owner and rigs now got 70,000 miles. Got it Bullet Proofed in 2016 just before head gaskets blew. So far, things that have gone out and needed fixing are:
Auto 4x4 system
Shocks
Tie rods
Front leaf springs
Large rear window motor (from lack of use?)
Overhead consul compass / fuel use display................. which is still out
I've got mine too - 2004, original owner, but we have 270k miles. Rebuilt the fuel system (from the tank to the injectors), HP oil pump and oil cooler replacement, EGR delete, and turbo rebuild 3 years ago, did the ball joints twice, unit bearings twice, trans replacement last year, and all the other normal stuff. I'm so good at this 6.0L stuff now I'd actually consider buying another lower mileage 6.0L in the future.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Congrats! Mine is 20 years old now, next month. 160k ish. Rebuilt the A/C system for the second time last summer. The compressor was leaking at the front seal. It was 14 years old, so I feel I got my $$ worth. This time I had to do both Evaporators too. Recent water pump and fan clutch. That water pump was 14 years old also and fan clutch was original. Couple of front sealed unit bearings, UVC harnesses, glow plugs and alternator. My rear window motors act up sometimes too. Usually a smack on the glass gets them working again. Few other little issues too nothing major. Great trucks!

If you replace the front leaf springs I would suggest a different code spring. The Excursions come with D code springs in the front. I swapped mine with U code springs off a F250. It provided about a 1 1/2"- 2" lift for the front. It does not bottom out any more and the suspension can actually travel. The EX sits level now too. The EX and F series spring codes are listed on the bottom of the driver door VIN sticker, if you find a donor truck. Or new ones are about $100 each.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2004 PSD 4x4 is now 18 years old and I bought it new. Just rolled over 41K actual miles. I also had mine bullet proofed and while they were in there had them add a better turbo charger, 140 amp alternator, oil and coolant bypass systems. It also has a tow tune on it. No issues from engine or drive train and the truck has spent it's life pulling a 35 foot 10K travel trailer and various utility trailer loads. I did have to replace front shocks and most recently a cable in the drivers side barn door that broke. It's also had a couple sets of tires and batteries put on it. But overall very happy with the beast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.