The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been more proud than today, my son received the letter Kingtuts son received last year, official candidate of the United States Naval Academy! He's just entering his senior year at high school and when he qualified for Naval Academy Summer Seminar for juniors, his application for the Academy was also accepted. He leaves next week for Annapolis and is chomping at the bit! He's a tall kid and pull ups were a problem but with training at the gym and home, he's up to 15 lightning fast Marine Corps pull ups and trust me, for someone tall, it's harder than you think.
Anywho...here he is on his last NJROTC inspection by our Area 7 Commander, CMDR. Hebert USN, he received "Outstanding" and a promotion. Commander Hebert also nicknamed him "Tinman" for his heart.
My son says he'll use that name for his call sign if he makes flight.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Congrats

Congrats on your son:thumbsup: I sure hope his Naval career is all that he want's it to be. My oldest is in the Navy and had to go the other way to Officer. He graduated from University of Idaho last yr. and just finished his Masters in Mechanical Eng. Currently at goosecreek S.C. Keep us up to date with his progress and wish him ALL THE BEST from another proud Navy Dad.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on your son:thumbsup: I sure hope his Naval career is all that he want's it to be. My oldest is in the Navy and had to go the other way to Officer. He graduated from University of Idaho last yr. and just finished his Masters in Mechanical Eng. Currently at goosecreek S.C. Keep us up to date with his progress and wish him ALL THE BEST from another proud Navy Dad.
Thanks Chuck, my son is also planning an engineering degree and working on his EIT while in the Navy.

Kudos to your son, he's on a great career path to say the least!

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Congrat's John,keep us updated on his progress.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Congrats, I remember the day I got my letter...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Great to have another "Ring knocker" here to ask questions, are you still in the Navy?
Actually no. I honestly made the ridiculous mistake of passing up going to the Academy to go to Medical School. Something I will regret for many years to come. My uncle went and his son did not go so he wanted me to. Took me up there, showed me around, got me hooked and I spent months writing all the letters and getting nominations and then got my letter about the same time I got my letter for Med School...

My mistake.... But I can still say I was accepted and that in itself was a feat for sure...

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
I've never been more proud than today, my son received the letter Kingtuts son received last year, official candidate of the United States Naval Academy! He's just entering his senior year at high school and when he qualified for Naval Academy Summer Seminar for juniors, his application for the Academy was also accepted. He leaves next week for Annapolis and is chomping at the bit! He's a tall kid and pull ups were a problem but with training at the gym and home, he's up to 15 lightning fast Marine Corps pull ups and trust me, for someone tall, it's harder than you think.
Anywho...here he is on his last NJROTC inspection by our Area 7 Commander, CMDR. Hebert USN, he received "Outstanding" and a promotion. Commander Hebert also nicknamed him "Tinman" for his heart.

Too bad we will miss each other on this trip, but I am sure we can coordinate some joint trips when Jr. gets in. My kid is pumped doing 4.5 miles in around 7.5 minute intervals, treading water for 25 minutes, doing 75 pushups in 2 minutes, you get it. Yes I will admit it, at this point for the first time in my life he could probably whip my ass......unless I get a stick after him............:jester:

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually no. I honestly made the ridiculous mistake of passing up going to the Academy to go to Medical School. Something I will regret for many years to come. My uncle went and his son did not go so he wanted me to. Took me up there, showed me around, got me hooked and I spent months writing all the letters and getting nominations and then got my letter about the same time I got my letter for Med School...

My mistake.... But I can still say I was accepted and that in itself was a feat for sure...
I don't think qualifies as a "regret" lol

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Too bad we will miss each other on this trip, but I am sure we can coordinate some joint trips when Jr. gets in. My kid is pumped doing 4.5 miles in around 7.5 minute intervals, treading water for 25 minutes, doing 75 pushups in 2 minutes, you get it. Yes I will admit it, at this point for the first time in my life he could probably whip my ass......unless I get a stick after him............:jester:
I'm sure we meet up there one of these days.

·
Registered
130 Posts

CONGRATS to both of you or I should say him, you and your wife since you are ones that made this achievement possible. As far as the C/S don't count on it ... it's done sometimes in the RAG and can be changed at his first operational squadron (our youngest's was) and is given to him not his choice ... after that it's fairly fixed in stone from then on out.

Larry

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
:thumbsup: Your son sounds like a fine young man with a good head on his shoulders, John. You must be very proud.

The apple does not fall far from the tree.

Bill

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CONGRATS to both of you or I should say him, you and your wife since you are ones that made this achievement possible. As far as the C/S don't count on it ... it's done sometimes in the RAG and can be changed at his first operational squadron (our youngest's was) and is given to him not his choice ... after that it's fairly fixed in stone from then on out.

Larry
Thank you Larry and yes, the congrats should go to him, not me, I'm just proud and happy for him. Obviously it's a rather ambiguous goal he has set out on, and we/he have no illusions as to his chances and he's trying to stay focused at the task at hand. Trust me he has a back up plan in place and he's happy with either outcome.

The C/S is a pipe dream and just in the discussion stages for fun.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How are ya'll getting up there. We have a non-stop on Southwest into Baltimore.
He's taking the shuttle out of Orlando to BWI and I'm picking him up the following week. Naval Academy Summer Seminar is only a week long and there are three sessions. They have to be cleared out of there a week before plebe summer starts. There are a total of about 1,800 (3x 600 per week) candidates participating and usually half of the candidates get the nod for an appointment. That's why we're all so excited, his qualifications are right on target and this will help him distinguish himself for his Blue and Gold Officers evaluation next August. As you know it's all about grades, College Board test scores and physical fitness.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts