The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a mysterious rattle from the front driver's side when driving on rough roads for about a year. The steering gear and traction bar have been replaced and the sway bar bushings look fine but the rattle remains.
Under the truck today I noticed a loose rubber O-ring where the front drive shaft connects to the wheel (attached photo). Nothing is leaking from joint.
Not sure if the dealer could have done this when replacing the traction bar or steering gear. What is this O-ring and how serious a problem is it?

Thanks,
Denver

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't think it's the seal. I have one like that too, but no clunk.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Those are just dust cap for the diff. It will not do any noise and its not a big deal if its not where it should be.

Try to grab the shocks with your hand and shake it/twist it. May be the shocks bushing are tired

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info on the dust cap.
The shocks check out fine so I'll have to keep looking for a source.

Denver

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.
Doesn't make a difference if I'm turning or going straight.
It's a dull heavy rattling when going over rough roads (which most are around here). Seems to be coming from somewhere close to the driver's side firewall lower down.
I've only noticed it when going below 30mph. When I hit broken pavement on the highway I don't hear it.

Thanks,
Denver

·
Registered
212 Posts
Check your ujoint closer to the differential than that dangling ring... The ring, by the way, simply won't stay seated if you've ever popped it out before.. It isn't a big (or even small) deal at all to be like it is..

There are two grease points on our rigs as set up by OEM... The ujoints on the front axle where the shaft enters the hub.. some trucks have a grease point on the front drive shaft, but all back ujoints are sealed.

Grab it with hubs locked and try to wiggle it. If there is ANY play, it's toast. Otherwise, grease the zerk and see if your clunk disappears. You can also attempt to drive it in 4wd over the same surfaces (when.wet as a minimum) and speeds to see if it clunks then, too...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts