The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starter sighed its last breath 941 miles from home. We were at a little store getting fuel and she just clicked when I turned the key. Keyrap! I climbed underneath and one of the long 6" bolts that hold the starter motor on had snapped and there was no fixing as the motor was cocked to one side. A nice gentleman drove me 60 miles round trip to the nearest auto parts store and the only thing NAPA had in stock was a New Motorcraft style starter. Probably made in China; How long should I expect it to work and should I replace it with a nippondenso as soon as possible?

·
Premium Member
15,122 Posts
If it was the Visteon style starter, it will probably last a few hundred thousand miles. They aren't the strongest or the fastest, but they are very reliable.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it was the Visteon style starter, it will probably last a few hundred thousand miles. They aren't the strongest or the fastest, but they are very reliable.
I think that is most likely what it is. The original went 14+ years and 295K miles. I hope I get the same out of this one.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I made it back from Texas and I'm here to tell you that the new NAPA made in China starter cranks my 7.3 way better than my old original. It cranks really fast now. If it lasts it was way worth the $225

Reactions: ArcticDriver
1 - 4 of 4 Posts