The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Great info, thank you!
Is this really worth all the work?
You're Welcome.
I don't know if it's worth it, as I have a Dieselsite filter with an OEM pump.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Does anyone know if the upper radiator hose for the International water pump goes through the serpentine belt or around it? I already have the around the belt (dual alt upper hose) and do not want to go back to one that goes through the belt.

My lifetime warranty water pump from O'Reilly has failed after 2 years. I had few options as I was on the road at the time. The warranted free replacement will not be going on the truck but will be used for an emergency spare. I will either go OEM (apparently not airtex as many on DieselStop swear) or the International. I do not currently have the coolant filter but do have Diesel Sites 203 degree thermostat and billet housing.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Does anyone know if the upper radiator hose for the International water pump goes through the serpentine belt or around it? I already have the around the belt (dual alt upper hose) and do not want to go back to one that goes through the belt.
Judging by the pictures, the International pumps uses the same thermostat housing, but it DOES NOT use the same thermostat. So your existing hose should work just fine.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am almost done with my install on my 2003 7.3 Excursion. The molded hose did not fit for me either as it was too short. I am going with the gates flex hose. Good news! this mod is now available as a kit from Dieselsite! They are currently out of stock waiting on more of the lower radiator hose that they had custom made. Their price is about the same as I spent on just my water pump from the local International dealer. This is a no brainer as I have been chasing parts for a couple of days to complete it.

New 7.3L Ford Powerstroke water pump with Coolant Filter all in one! Finally a complete bolt-on system that utilizes the International cast iron water pump, modified to fit the 7.3L Powerstroke. Fits all 1999 -2003 7.3L engines.

This kit comes complete for a super-clean install! Includes:

International thermostat,
DieselSite billet aluminum thermostat housing,
custom lifetime silicon lower radiator hose,
stainless steel housing bolts,
all plumbing hardware for conversion
and high quality bolts for installation
Will not work on Dual Alternator Trucks

When they get the hoses back in stock I will buy one to replace the flexible Gates hose.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Other than the coolant filter boss, I'm still confused as to what tangible, measureable benefit people are perceiving with the IH cast iron water pump over the Ford aluminum water pump?

·
Registered
18 Posts
"Other than the coolant filter boss, I'm still confused as to what tangible, measureable benefit people are perceiving with the IH cast iron water pump over the Ford aluminum water pump?"

Other than the eventual problems of cavitation and electrolysis associated with so many dissimilar metals, high mileage AND a spinning iron based wheel (creates an electrical charge) that further aggravates the problem along with a steel thermostat housing that corrodes against the aluminum housing, not much.

·
Registered
895 Posts
"Other than the eventual problems of cavitation and electrolysis associated with so many dissimilar metals, high mileage AND a spinning iron based wheel (creates an electrical charge) that further aggravates the problem along with a steel thermostat housing that corrodes against the aluminum housing...

In the kit adverposted above, doesn't Bob Riley include a billet aluminum thermostat housing with a steel thermostat and iron pump?

Is there an OEM engine made today for a light truck, gas or diesel, that doesn't have aluminum heads?

Has the Navistar T444e proven to be less susceptible to coolant cavitation than the PSD?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would imagine that the aluminum housing is anodized (with a black dye) to create a corrosion barrier and effectively bringing the dissimilar metals "closer" together on the anodic chart scale. If you look at dieselsite's picture of the housing, the product is black and not bare aluminum stock.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Also, any idea as to how much this international conversion kit will cost from dieselsite? Currently it just says out of stock and no price is listed. I like the integral water pump filteration system rather than the tacky looking add-on filtration systems.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm curious about the Dieselsite price too. This will be a no brained for me when the time comes!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Anybody know about how much I should plan on spending on concentrated Rotella ELC? Best price I've found online is between $30-$40 per gallon...

·
Registered
194 Posts
my cps connector write is stretched pretty good too reach around the IH pump. anyone else have trouble getting it plugged in?

·
Registered
62 Posts
A heads up for anyone doing this mod. Before you install the pump, remove the snap ring holding in the ball valve. Pull the valve out and throw away the oring. Replace it with a -205 Viton oring.

The factory oring likes to get brittle and crack causing a leak. And getting that snap ring out with the pump on the motor is not a fun task.

·
Registered
895 Posts
"...so many dissimilar metals... aggravates the problem along with a steel thermostat housing that corrodes against the aluminum housing..."
So you are saying the benefit of a cast iron water pump is to reduce dissimilar metals?
Doesn't the water pump bolt to an aluminum front cover?

PHOTO CREDIT: "Shamish" here on TDS

·
Registered
194 Posts
NYT,

I did not replace my stock one with a Navistar to avoid dis-similar metals even though there were not sacrificial anodes on the original.

I did it exclusively to attempt to get a longer lasting pump. The filter is only a fringe benefit for me. I have no idea if it will last longer than the 1.5 years I got out of the aluminum one I had to buy from Car Quest that I had to slap on while on the road. I am a bit disappointed in the original only lasting from 2003 to 2011.

It is noted for the record that you think it's a dumb idea to use the Navistar pump.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts