The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, the water pump in my 2000 7.3 went out last week, I decided to go with the IH Navistar water pump from Riffraff as a replacement, Also grabbed a 203 degree thermostat from Napa. Before I get started on it just wanted to figure out the Torque specs for this Navistar setup. Any input and info would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I was originally looking at a similar “upgrade” (water pump with the screw on filter) but have changed my mind after getting feedback from those here on the forum who are running stock water pumps with the addition of a coolant filtration set up from someone like DieselSite. I also have changed my mind about installing the 203* thermostat. My truck runs really great with the stock thermostat from Ford. I would suggest going to the advanced search and put in key words (203 degree thermostat). There are quite a few posts in which negative results are reported. Not saying it won’t work, but you might want to research it first unless you know your 7.3 is running too cold. Once I get around to it I’ll also be installing the upper radiator hose that goes around the accessory belt instead of through it which is a common upgrade.
Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
25,492 Posts
Torque specs for the water pump bolts would be the same for either Ford or IH water pumps.

·
Premium Member
8,930 Posts
If you don't have them the torque spec for the water pump bolts is 15 Lb-Ft

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
The one thing I've heard if you're going with the IH pump is to paint it first. It's cast iron and will be all rust colored shortly and you'll wish you'd thought of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum. I was originally looking at a similar “upgrade” (water pump with the screw on filter) but have changed my mind after getting feedback from those here on the forum who are running stock water pumps with the addition of a coolant filtration set up from someone like DieselSite. I also have changed my mind about installing the 203* thermostat. My truck runs really great with the stock thermostat from Ford. I would suggest going to the advanced search and put in key words (203 degree thermostat). There are quite a few posts in which negative results are reported. Not saying it won’t work, but you might want to research it first unless you know your 7.3 is running too cold. Once I get around to it I’ll also be installing the upper radiator hose that goes around the accessory belt instead of through it which is a common upgrade.
Good Luck!
Thanks for your input, I am kinda iffy about the 203 thermostat myself, only reason why I got it is that I’ve read that the stock thermostat is too long and won’t fit. I really rather have my truck run a bit cooler since I live in a damn desert.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Thanks for your input, I am kinda iffy about the 203 thermostat myself, only reason why I got it is that I’ve read that the stock thermostat is too long and won’t fit. I really rather have my truck run a bit cooler since I live in a damn desert.
If I recall the argument in the older posts i read it was that a 7.3 under a load, towing, doesn’t need the hotter thermostat. I think it was the guys running their trucks as a daily driver and no tow or heavy load / hills, that felt the engine was running better with the 203. I’m sure as you state, climate / and ambient temperature may play a role as well , and the type of driving - city vs. highway.

·
Premium Member
8,930 Posts
I've been running the 203 degree one now for a few years and haven't noticed a single thing that has been claimed that you get from running it, and will be going back to a cooler one.

However it does allow the temperature gauge to come up a ways

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
I live in a desert as well and I ran the 203 year round for a few years then I started putting it in just for winter as it does warm up nice especially for shorter drives. The last two summers though I just left it in. I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference one way or another.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts