The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trans is acting all kinds of funny lately. Its been 5 months since my upgraded engine work and running a stock transmission. I put the stage 2 solenoids in 2 weeks ago. It has helped but still screwy in the shifting. Especially coming to a light, downshifting. Wants to start out in 2nd gear sometimes, starts shifting sporadically up and down while running 45-50mph. I knew the stocker would only last but so long after the engine mods.
Rebuild what I got? What are yall's suggestions on transmissions brands/companies. I want/need a stage 2. Have nvr had to deal w a diesel trans as far as ordering. Any gas one I've had was rebuilt locally.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
What's been done to the truck?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Some minor engine work. Studded, deleted. 190/30 inj, stage 2 turbo, Fass fuel w Driven Diesel reg return. Livewire loaded w Warren Diesel, Gearhead and WPE tunes. Lots of other stuff but that's the jist of it. Pretty conservative driver but like to have fun for a couple seconds every once in awhile. She doesn't get ran hard.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I'd be sure its really a trans issue. I have over 110k on a Ford reman trans and the last 60k has been with all the mods to my truck. It shows no signs of issues with the trans. From what Eric at Innovative has said the stock trans is good to 600 RWHP if properly tuned. The improved solenoids should be unnecessary with proper tuning as well. I bought one of the solenoids, but its still sitting on my shelf. I elected to drive the truck first and see if I thought it could use it, and I never saw the need. I'd make sure your tuning is dialed in first and go from there, and I'd discuss the solenoids with the tuner to see if he thinks they're needed or that you're working at cross purposes.

I think I'd avoid the Warren tunes too. Gearhead and WPE get good reviews, but I had serious issues with a set of Warren injectors. Granted, not the same thing, but all the same I'd stick to Innovative, Gearhead, or WPE.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot. I've been running the Warren tune 99% of the time. I'm going to switch it out to WPE and see what happens. I will say...when I put in the solenoids there wasn't much on the magnet in the pan. Typical wear I would say. Fluid looked fine and didn't smell burnt. This trans has 110k miles on it. The original was replaced under warranty by Ford at 50k. Only about 2000k on it since motor work done. Didn't think about the tuning being jacked up. Not sure if anyone around here does live tuning, that would probably be the way to go to get it right

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Can you run a graph on the speed? A bad speed sensor or a corroded connection can the issues you are describing. The rear connector at the differential has been known to cause issues.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The sensor on the differential is tied to shifting of the trans? I've been meaning to replace it anyway. I've had issues a couple times w the ABS light coming on while driving in the rain. Stops raining, jump in and light is out. Was told that sensor was most likely the cause of that (<<not sure if that's correct?) but like I said, had no idea it was tied to shifting.
The graph your referring to...is that something that can be done on the Live Wire?
Also w this Warren Hot Street tune, it pours black smoke at take off. There is a lil turbo lag(2 secs) on heavy take off. Black, black smoke to fill a intersection if I wanted ( I don't do that, but could). But the power is there. It's fast!!
Just screwy shifting, especially downshifting. Maybe one than one prob, ****ty tuning and possibly that sensor

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
The trans is tied to the PCM which uses the speed sensor(road speed), throttle pedal position, and engine RPM, just to name a few of the parameters. So, yes the speed sensor plays an important part in shifting and ABS function. I am not that familiar with the Live Wire, so I can not answer that question. I have a OTC Genesys scan tool which has a recorder that can be put in a graph mode to see any fluctuations in the road speed readout. A little lag is the norm for this engine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will replace that tomm and report back. Will also look into the functions of the Live Wire and see about the graph. Thank you!!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I would suggest changing the diff fluid as well. Often the speed sensor get jacked up from metal particles in the oil. So you want to make sure that the old fluid doesn't contaminate the new sensor.

I've typically found that the trans fluid at 25-30k is still nice and red and smells like synthetic tranny oil. I've dropped the pan a couple times just to check, but new found anything more than a very light film of clutch material on the pan. So little it would come off with one swipe from a shop towel. I guess that little toilet paper roll filter does a pretty good job, and the trans is quite stout.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts