The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone.

My 1997 7.3 is currently in the dealership.
It did a strange thing two times over the last few weeks so I took it in for diagnosis.
Within a minute or so after a cold start up, but while driving the "check engine" light came on and the engine lost almost all power. It did not die, and I drove a block or so before the light went out & power returned. It wasn't stumbling or smoking, just no power. I need to meet with the mechanic in the morning, but they said over the phone I have a CPS issue (which they just replaced a couple years ago under a recall.) They also say I have an injector and glow plug issues. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I can see the repair estimate now.

I have 244K and the truck has always been a good truck.

Can anyone recommend a good, yet not too expensive mechanic in the Seattle / Lynnwood area to do glow plug & injector work?

They specifically mentioned one injector, does it make sense to change them all. The truck seemed to run fine & has always started when cold just fine. If it isn't smoking or obviously missing, can I safely just continue to drive it and not worry about a questionable injector right now?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Did they tell you what the codes were? If there is a check engine light there should be a code associated with it. They usually like to do all the injectors to keep them balanced. The PCM can sense how the engine is running, slight rpm changes as each cylinder comes up on its powerstroke. Then is makes some injectors work more and others less to keep the engine running as smoothly as possible. So if you do just one injector it under compensates and the others over compensate.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi sdan 27

Thanks for the response.
I was unsuccessful at getting it to show a code before I took it in.

I just had the dealership Harris Ford do the work.

They have a diesel mechanic there Jeremy who seemed like a real good guy & he explained everything. He has a 7.3 himself, so it was good to BS about the truck with someone who seemed passionate about the 7.3. The main issue $$$ wise besides the CPS is the under valve cover harness connections were melting so I had one bad connection to an injector. They replaced all glow plugs, replaced the harnesses and the CPS.
They didn't need to do any injector work. It's still going to be over $3K by the time I drive off the lot. I thought about doing it myself, but I'm getting too old & fat (and possibly lazy) to lay over the radiator & fenders for hours.
I do have a tiny external coolant leak between the timing cover & block, but I guess you need to pull the motor to fix it, so that ain't happening any time soon (hopefully)

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts