The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My water pump developed a very slow leak. So I am thinking I am living on borrowed time. Where is the best place to buy a new water pump? Also I've read that when replacing the water pump one should also replace the fan clutch...is this true? My truck on has 190K miles on it and this is the second time I've replaced the water pump. I have the original fan clutch on it.

Griz

·
Registered
51 Posts
260k on my 2000 Dually and original fan clutch, second water pump. No issues here...(knock on wood).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
497 Posts
My water pump developed a very slow leak. So I am thinking I am living on borrowed time. Where is the best place to buy a new water pump? Also I've read that when replacing the water pump one should also replace the fan clutch...is this true? My truck on has 190K miles on it and this is the second time I've replaced the water pump. I have the original fan clutch on it.

Griz

Hi I’m on my 3 motor craft water pump and oem fan clutch at 286,000 miles. If you can wait for shipping I would order from Riffraff diesel they have motorcraft pump and fan clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Airtex AW-4114
$80-$90 online.

I have purchased/installed on two 7.3 PSD in last couple years.

No issues to date.

Airtex is the OEM supplier.

Have not replaced a fan clutch yet at 184,000 miles in either truck.

·
Super Moderator
24,884 Posts
The only reason you'd need to replace the fan clutch is if some ham-handed lame-brain mechanic air chiseled the nut to get it loose and messed it up. Even dealer service techs do that if they're too lazy to walk over to the tool crib and get the proper special tools to remove the fan clutch. Hammering on them with an air chisel will eventually mess up the fan clutch and possibly the water pump bearings (but that doesn't matter if you're replacing the water pump anyway). I'm still on the original fan clutch at 220k miles. I've swapped at least 3 water pumps.
Try RockAuto for good prices on Motorcraft water pumps. Even the aftermarket stuff is OK. Airtex manufactures the OEM pumps for Ford.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
When my fan clutch failed, it let the fan loose into the radiator, and destroyed the radiator, fan, and water pump. So I would at least check the fan clutch and replace it if necessary before it fails and causes you a much more expensive repair.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts