The Diesel Stop banner

Need a "safe" tuner for a 2007 6.0

3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  OKMudn 
#1 ·
My uncle just got a 6.0 auto F-350. He came from a '99 F-250 stroke. He is looking for a tuner that tunes through the OBD port (not a chip) and can be taken out when he wants to. Specifically he is wanting better than the 13mpg he is getting now and wants to get rid of the slow response on take off. If it were a 7.3 I'd know what to tell him (see sig) but I'm not "boned-up" on the 6.0. Thanks in advance for the help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
WOW,

Thanks for the help guys! (48 views and ZERO replies.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif I told him not to buy a 6.0. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Guess I'll go back to the 7.3 side. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

#4 ·
[ QUOTE ]
need a tissue for your issue?

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

NICE! Thanks for the help. No more please, that's about all I can take. (Feel free to have the last word if it makes you feel better)....I'm out.

Mods, please close thread!!!

#5 ·
The SCT is the best for the 6.0. Next would be the TS 5X. I would know I think I have had dang near everything.

#6 ·
DALpilot - Thanks for the info. I'll check on that. I'll assume you've had yours for more than a week and have actually had some experience with it. Thanks again!

#7 ·
I have run a QUAD module on an '04 and and '06, currently using an SCT on the '06. Either one will work great, the QUAD will need to be driven so the tranny will learn to shift with the new power.

#8 ·
[ QUOTE ]
My uncle just got a 6.0 auto F-350. He came from a '99 F-250 stroke. He is looking for a tuner that tunes through the OBD port (not a chip) and can be taken out when he wants to. Specifically he is wanting better than the 13mpg he is getting now and wants to get rid of the slow response on take off. If it were a 7.3 I'd know what to tell him (see sig) but I'm not "boned-up" on the 6.0. Thanks in advance for the help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If its only getting 13, then something else is definately wrong, and the tuner may just mask the problem. It'd help to more about the truck (450 w/ 4.30 rear? ? ?). The SCT is probably the best for throttle response.

#9 ·
I just installed an SCT from Innovative Diesel and so far all is well. Mileage is solidly up (this is on the Xtreme Street tune).

#10 ·
[ QUOTE ]
It'd help to more about the truck (450 w/ 4.30 rear? ? ?). The SCT is probably the best for throttle response.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, F-350, SRW, 2wd, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 3.73....White /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#11 ·
yup, just get the street tune for the truck,.. super safe, usable power!!!

#12 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It'd help to more about the truck (450 w/ 4.30 rear? ? ?). The SCT is probably the best for throttle response.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, F-350, SRW, 2wd, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 3.73....White /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

With that truck 13 is definitly something WRONG. You should be able to see 18 @ 70 unloaded easily. You need to get that fixed before tuning - tuning might help with the throttle response, but something else is wrong if its only getting 13 (unless thats towing).

With my truck, I can get 13 towing 6k @ 62 easily, and up to 14.5 if I can get out on the flats.

#13 ·
I have had an 03,04,05, 2-06's and a 07. I have tried a few different tunes and boxes, but with out a question call Eric and Ted at Innovative diesel...410-620-3020 I have a tow tune which I tow 8k and more. I use the the xtreme street as my daily driver. Perfect, enough power, tows easily 8k easily, egts are in check, shifts great, and still turns a 14.3-4 when needed. Tried it twice and thats what I got in my 07 dooley. The race tune is just that, strictly for me at the track, turns 14.01.on a hot day. Good Luck Jeff

#14 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With that truck 13 is definitly something WRONG. You should be able to see 18 @ 70 unloaded easily. You need to get that fixed before tuning - tuning might help with the throttle response, but something else is wrong if its only getting 13 (unless thats towing).

With my truck, I can get 13 towing 6k @ 62 easily, and up to 14.5 if I can get out on the flats.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have to agree. I have an 04 F350 Crew 4x4 longbox that gets 19 empty if I keep it at 67mph highway.

#15 ·
Not to hijack the posters thread, but my '06 CC Dualie 4x4 4.10 has never seen 16mpg, ever. I just ordered a Quadzilla ZXT module for it. Should be here next week. I hope to see a mileage increase as well.

#16 ·
[ QUOTE ]
'06 CC Dualie 4x4 4.10

[/ QUOTE ]

That's alot of metal to be shoving around, and with the 4.10's its gonna tow nice, but economy will suffer. He's got a 2wd w/ 3.73. There's no reason that truck shouldn't see 17+ and up to 20. 13 is just not right, unless thats towing.

#17 ·
If he wants that style programmer then you'll have to listen to the other posters. I'd say juice Platinum otherwise. Could go Edge Evolution. The only bad news for you is whatever your uncle gets he will smoke you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#18 ·
Meant to add, I chose to go with a module while it's still under warranty instead of a programmer or chip that will leave a code on your computer.

#20 ·
[ QUOTE ]
DALpilot - Thanks for the info. I'll check on that. I'll assume you've had yours for more than a week and have actually had some experience with it. Thanks again!

[/ QUOTE ]
oh and i've only had mine for 3 days. not a week. aren't you gald the mods didn't close this thread? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif lol lots of good info.

#21 ·
Yep, lots of good info. Glad thread wasn't closed. Glad I didn't judge the 6.0 crowd by the first person to respond /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif (Bet you never heard that before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif )

Anywho, truck is not towing, just draging around a utility box on the back. No check engine lights, I know the tuner will let me scan for DTC's anything else I should check for? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif I would hate to mask a problem with the tuner. Thanks again for the help guys!!

#22 ·
You should be getting way better mileage than that unless all the miles are hard city driving in stop and go traffic.
I have never gotten that bad, not even new!

Just today I filled up $2.649/gallon cash. Yes I live SC =)

Lets see

430miles on the trip meter 6 days to burn it edge on level 4 the whole trip sometimes blowing some smoke in traffic at some jerk who gets on my nerves.

230 miles interstate @70-80 varies depending on who is in fron of me =)this was from charleston,sc-charlotte,nc nothing huge but lots of rolling hills.

200 all short runs to work 6 miles and back.

24.5 gallons that i topppppppppeeeeeeddddd off (i have 28 gallon tank)

hand calculated at 17.5 mpg
f250 2wd short bed 3.73 gears stock pirrelli tires w/60lbs of air all around w/vinyl tonneau cover on.

hope this helps.

#23 ·
Truck is brand new and doesn't have any CEL lights on. Anything I should look for. (I think I'll find out how he is calculating his MPG also)Thanks for the input!

#24 ·
Dont worry about it if the truck is new...i only have about 6k miles on my 07 F250 4x4 with 3.73's and the 20's and my mileage is still improving all the time. last check it was up to 18mpg highway. thats no tuner just exhaust and intake. it'll take it a while to get loosened up. diesel engines normally have a much longer break in period than their gas guzzling brothers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.