The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today i found out my brother bought a 2008 Ford F350 XL 4x4 w/111k miles 4 days ago for $14,500. He bought it from a small mom and pop used car lot, because he is looking to start a lawncare business since he is tired of working for who he does now and decided to buy the truck and a new trailer 4 days ago. The day he bought it he took it to the closest ford dealership and had the oil changed, the fuel filter changed, and the air filter before driving it 2 hours home. Today he got in the truck and went to go drive to pickup a lawnmower he was going to buy and he got 3 miles from his house and the truck went into limp mode, the closest ford dealership was over 20mins away, so he drove it for 20 mins to the ford dealership and had them do diagnostics on the truck. The dealer said he had a code of P0088 on the ECU and that he needs like 11k in work done to the truck.....so he called me up today because i had dealt with issues with my 2004 6.0 powerstroke years ago before getting rid of it..

I took the fuel filter out and there is no visible metal on the filter itself, but i did find some small flakes in the bottom of the bowl since the code comes up as a HPFP error from my googling... I unhooked the batteries for about 2 hours and connected them back up and took the truck for a ride and it starts perfectly, has great power from what i can tell.. boost is nearly touching 4x, idle sounds to be even and clean.. i goosed it a few times over like a 20 mile drive and it didnt go back into limp mode at all or throw a check engine code.. drove perfectly from what i could tell....

I am worried that he might of bought into a truck that needs a lot of work, i did a lot of the work on my 6.0 previously.. so i am somewhat mechanically inclined if i have directions to follow, but im unsure what to think about this truck.. if the pump is really going bad, wouldnt it throw a code every time you drive it? I already talked to the dealer he bought it from and they are not willing to work with him at all on any kind of refund or comp on some of the repairs....

A little history about the truck is that it was a City owned truck, the mom and pop place had an entire lot full of previously used city owned trucks.... so before this the truck was used my city workers for whatever job they did with it is unknown...

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
For the picture, the fuel system look in good condition but that doesn't mean the HPFP is not starting to grenade itself. If the HPFP goes your looking at $5000 in parts + your time. He will need to make sure to keep those fuel filter change regularly and use additives in fuel.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does that amount of metal in there seem like a lot? ive never had a hpfp fail on me before.. was thinking about maybe ordering the pump myself and swap the pump out myself.. it looks like you would have to remove the turbo's... looks somewhat straight forward, just in a very hard to get to easily location

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Shine a light down the bowl at night and look for shiny metal flake. If you see some, that would indicate that the HPFP is starting to fail. If the HPFP fail, you need to replace injectors, all HP line, fuel cooler and (not sure) LPFP with line.

If you have a way to lift the cab off, you don't have to remove the turbo. Only up pipe. If you don't have a way to lift the cab, take all rad out, remove the 4 front bolt for the cab (2 front and 2 front cab), lift front cab 4-6 inch (i used 4x4 between the frame and cab) and remove turbo.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am debating on what to do, ford has offered to replace just the hpfp for $2200 since the truck is running fine outside of the small amount of metal in the bowl.. they are thinking that nothing has gotten to the injectors yet because during the testing they all tested out fine on all injector test...

But then at the same time my brother is sitting not being able to work, he bought the truck to start a new business doing lawncare and already had a few people lined up to get him up and started on cutting their grass and such while he gets his name out there.. so almost tempted to tell him to take the truck to somewhere and just trade it in toward another truck....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts