The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok have 2015 f-350 has developed knocking problem during regen just under 15,000 miles.scheduled for oil change on Monday.Told service manager of problem and asked him to research the fix from ford.What he read off to me was tearing down left side head and parts list.After reading alot of post about MIS-INFOMATION and others, Im not sure this is the true fix and if it is, should I have it done or try to wait for what is coming next? What is the latest fix. Any info on this matter would be great.
Thank you in advance,
Bill

·
Registered
352 Posts
unfortunately the sky fell on you. yes its true the valves will need to be replaced per the tsb. no nothing else will be addressed per ford. or you can pay out of pocket to have a machine shop hone the guides for less valve stiction. this has been beat to death many a time. sorry man it is what it is.

·
Registered
178 Posts
They will flash it and replace the valves if need be. The new flash will take care of the problem and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
They will flash it and replace the valves if need be. The new flash will take care of the problem and you will be good to go.
curious. You said this as well as pocket in another thread. What leads you to say 'if need be'? There is no grey area on the tsb, unless I'm reading wrong. step one-reprogram. step 2-did it happen during regen, yes, go to step 3 and rip truck apart.

There is no if need be to it, and i wouldn't be surprised if you declined the valve replacement and come in a second time they may deny it. who knows.

Reactions: Texkenusmc

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks man beat to death is a good way to put it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
curious. You said this as well as pocket in another thread. What leads you to say 'if need be'? There is no grey area on the tsb, unless I'm reading wrong. step one-reprogram. step 2-did it happen during regen, yes, go to step 3 and rip truck apart.

There is no if need be to it, and i wouldn't be surprised if you declined the valve replacement and come in a second time they may deny it. who knows.
You guys are right. Why bother to get it fixed.
Rattle on brothers, rattle on........

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Just trying to gather intel:

Have you owned the truck since new?
At what mileage have you been changing the oil?
Did you do an "early" oil change during the first 1000 miles?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Owned since new, oil changes 5000 miles.Did not do early oil change.Thought about it , wish i had.Noticed this problem with 12,700 but thought it was a tranny issue because it was kinda bucking but now the knock has come in to play.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So Fomotech Are you saying the damage has been done? Needs new valves? Because dealer wants to re flash and see what happens?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
So Fomotech Are you saying the damage has been done? Needs new valves? Because dealer wants to re flash and see what happens?
I have the same issue and would be all in for just a flash if ford tells me my valves are ok. Some reason heat effects them. Are they heat damaged, brittle...no ideal.

anyway, here is the TSB ford gives to the dealer.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjwmNDCvrHNAhUKeD4KHZVlADkQFggeMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thedieselstop.com%2Fforums%2Fattachments%2Ff149%2F91962d1459199633-new-tsb-shuddering-during-regen-tsb16-0041.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGuH8xhYcOD2fxsH-VSoXqIXWI33g

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just trying to gather intel:

Did you do an "early" oil change during the first 1000 miles?
I asked this question when I first bought mine, but could not find any consensus between trucks that have the problem versus those which do not. Also, if the ones experiencing the problem were using 10W-30 versus 5W-40 or 15W-40. I have not had the problem (and hope I never do), but I changed mine at 991 miles and glad I did because the OEM oil filter looked less than stellar. Not that it means anything, but I have only used 5W-40 in mine (Chevron Delo, Rotella T6, and Mobil 1 ESP--one run of each) and one run of Kendall 15W-40 SynBlend.

I would rank the 5W-40s with Mobil first, then Chevron, then Rotella. Nothing wrong with any of them, but Rotella was the noisiest. Mobil is the most expensive in my area, but my 6.7L really likes it, and I picked up 16 gallons on a PepBoys black Friday special last year . For a SynBlend, the Kendall was great and very quiet and Amazon Prime had it with decent pricing.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
247 Posts
Since it started recently, go with the re-flash and see what happens. The re-flash is part of the fix in either case. Meanwhile, lock out higher gears when a regen starts to keep RPMs between 1500-2000. That should stop the shaking and prevent further damage.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input guys, after speaking with mechanic from another shop I'm going with re-flash for now. He claims the end fix is going to lie in a re-flash down the line.

·
Registered
352 Posts
we do what is best for the cust. if the cust wants valves I put in valves. if he wants a reflash we do a reflash. id rather try the most non invasive option first. id pull the cab at a last resort. after the reflash id go beat the livin s$%t out of it on the highway. see what happens. seems its the diesels that arnt worked hard enough.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
we do what is best for the cust. if the cust wants valves I put in valves. if he wants a reflash we do a reflash. id rather try the most non invasive option first. id pull the cab at a last resort. after the reflash id go beat the livin s$%t out of it on the highway. see what happens. seems its the diesels that arnt worked hard enough.
So If I come in with jackhammering that happens after the cleaning message is displayed, You would just reflash it without changing valves, if thats what customer wants? So Ford doesn't care if their TSB isn't followed through with completely? On work order to get paid do you say owner declined valves?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Damage has been done. Once you have the problem it will keep coming back. Mine subsided for several months but has recently come back with a vengeance. Assumption in the summer heat / summer fuel has brought it back after subsiding over the winter

I have driven 4 Super Duties in the same manner and I have one of the 2015s with faulty valves.

Truck is worked hard in the NC Mountains weekly up and down elevations from 2300' to 6000'

Archoil and PM22 or Optilube used on every tank and all regenerations allowed to complete

Some individuals received buy backs (and several 2 consecutive buy backs). They drove all the trucks the same. One engine had the problem and another did not

The entire Ford regeneration process is a broken process. Ford needs to inject the regeneration fuel into the exhaust stream instead of pushing it through the cylinders in the exhaust stroke.

I would not hang on to any of these engines that have the issue after the warranty expires

On the regeneration that I had that kicked in in uphill high terrain this Sunday evening, I lost virtually all compression and could not accelerate even when dropping gears. I had to stop, cut the truck off getting it out of regeneration before I could resume up mountain (Ford needs to show this process in their promotional videos)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Damage has been done. Once you have the problem it will keep coming back. Mine subsided for several months but has recently come back with a vengeance. Assumption in the summer heat / summer fuel has brought it back after subsiding over the winter

I have driven 4 Super Duties in the same manner and I have one of the 2015s with faulty valves.

Truck is worked hard in the NC Mountains weekly up and down elevations from 2300' to 6000'

Archoil and PM22 or Optilube used on every tank and all regenerations allowed to complete

Some individuals received buy backs (and several 2 consecutive buy backs). They drove all the trucks the same. One engine had the problem and another did not

The entire Ford regeneration process is a broken process. Ford needs to inject the regeneration fuel into the exhaust stream instead of pushing it through the cylinders in the exhaust stroke.

I would not hang on to any of these engines that have the issue after the warranty expires

On the regeneration that I had that kicked in in uphill high terrain this Sunday evening, I lost virtually all compression and could not accelerate even when dropping gears. I had to stop, cut the truck off getting it out of regeneration before I could resume up mountain (Ford needs to show this process in their promotional videos)

Have you taken your truck to be reflashed/valves replaced yet yet?

·
Registered
48 Posts

If the damage was done why does the problem go away and then comes back?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts