The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck is an early 99, so it has only an OTA tranny cooler.

I need something better, but have a BAD BAD BAD taste in my mouth for OTW coolers, had one go bad and ruin a tranny in my old 99 F250 5.4L gas.

How about a big OTA but with a thermostat and fan, say in addition to the stock cooler, possibly between the frame rails?

The tranny gets hot quickly towing 15k up a windy narrow road in first gear, little/no airflow.

Thoughts? Part #s? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I would suggest getting a 6.0L PSD trans cooler, they are huge! Even a SD V10 trans cooler is pretty big.

Dave

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
I installed the 6.0 cooler and can't reach 175 degrees. It close to 3 times as ig as the stock unit, plus it bolts in the same location. PM me with any questions. Ebay is the best source for them.

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
How about a big OTA but with a thermostat and fan, say in addition to the stock cooler, possibly between the frame rails?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those work great.

First choice would be to change out the radiator to add that OTW cooler. Other options are to replace the stock oil-to-air (OTA) cooler with a much-bigger one, or add another one in-line with the stock cooler. If you still have trouble staying below 220º tranny temp, then you need to add a big fan to an auxiliary tranny cooler mounted up under the truck.

The PermaCool Maxi-Cool SixPass is a really good one. B&M also makes a good one. Parts will cost about $200 from www.SummitRacing.com - in "keyword or part number", enter Summit part number PRM-12318 or BMM-70297. The B&M includes the thermostat but a smaller fan. For the Perma-Cool you'd have to add a thermostat.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have been there and done that. Save the money on the 6.0 tranny cooler. WAY too expensive for the results. I have tried two aftermarket coolers. The TruCool 40,000 tranny cooler only costs about $125 bucks and took 30 minutes to install - the 6.0 cooler is over $300 at the dealer. Got mine from Bob at DieselSite.
I carry a 4000 truck camper and pull a Jeep Wrangler rock crawler from SC to Montana every year. THIS year I did not have to worry about the tranny temps one time - straight up the grades doing 65 passing the Dogdes and not one worry about EGT or tranny temps (using D & P chip in 80 hp mode). My tranny temps did not get above 165 the entire trip. HUGE improvement on my other trips. Only the turbo surge limited me. Gonna get a BB turbo and fix that too!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Don't listen to OB1, and get the 6.0 cooler. Nobody buys them from the dealer and pays $430+ for one, just look on Ebay, I paid $60 shipped before the big craze, the going rate is still around $150. Now the one from a V10 will also work and be a direct bolt on unit, the V10 is almost exactly the same size as the Tru Cool Max that Dieselsite sells, but with the TCM you will have to rig up a mounting location. You also don't need a OTW cooler. My temps reported are just with the 6.0 cooler and nothing else. I have towed at very low speeds going up the switchbacks in the BlueRidge mountains. There is a 6.0 cooler for sale in the for sale section for $150 right now. PM me with any ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts