The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blew the high pressure steering hose attached to pump. Took it to garage who just called to say 'bad news'...needs a new pump. He said the pump is putting out too much pressure, that he sees this all the time. I asked if he measured the pressure and he said no---but that usually reason. I declined and said 'just put the hose on I cant afford 860 for a new pump. My thought though, was BS. WHat you think?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I found them underr 75 bucks Ford does like to make a profit--I didnt explain that the 860 was the pump and labor.

·
Premium Member
15,278 Posts
Your mechanic is full of bovine excrement. This pump is a volume pump. Pressure is created by resistance in the driven components - i.e. the steering box and the hydroboost. The only way this pump could overpressure the system is if it magically became more efficient and increased the volume output. Ain’t happening. Probably suckers a bunch of people into a new pump because sounds logical as a reason the line would blow. The reason the lines blow is it was a crappy design at that joint by the pump. I’m on #3 myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Folks, just my general mechanicing made me think that a pump built like that couldnt possible do that, and the ford guy saying thats the cause of all the blown hoses they see was PURE EXCREMENT. I had only run the truck about 16 seconds after I heard the blowout. It POPPED. So I didnt hurt the pump. Today I blasted the service person and heres what I got.
1. They used my own 45 dollar hose when theirs would have been 105 They did the labor and added fluid for only 197 bucks! Can you imagine how many thousands of ignorant customers get rap++d bytthe dealer back rooms? Truck runs fine I just got it backl at 6:35 PM pacific. Can you imagine? I got out of a dealer back room for under 200 clams. Wish he had straight out said they are not engineered well. DOes any company make braided steel? Thanks for your advice, it helped me save a ton

·
Premium Member
8,006 Posts
You can get that made. That would be 5k psi. With the metal line ends it would be a trick and expensive. The key to the life of those hoses is to make sure they get wrapped with rubber where they can rub and are zip tied so they don’t slam against the shock tower when you press on the brakes. In addition having an anti rust coating like Fluid Film or BOESHIELD on the metal to keep rust off.

·
Registered
149 Posts

That is the part your going to need to adapt the power steering box high-pressure port to a -an fitting that you then easily have JIC high pressure hydraulic hoses made for at NAPA, use swivel fittings btw

They also offer a custom kit, for less than what that stealership said.... thats ridiculous... u can just about replace the entire steering system for that price

And yes, the design of the powersteering high pressure side is STUPID, get the wheels at max lock and alittle side pressure on the tires, or cold fluid, and BAM....off comes the hose and soakes everything

·
Registered
1 Posts
Blew the high pressure steering hose attached to pump. Took it to garage who just called to say 'bad news'...needs a new pump. He said the pump is putting out too much pressure, that he sees this all the time. I asked if he measured the pressure and he said no---but that usually reason. I declined and said 'just put the hose on I cant afford 860 for a new pump. My thought though, was BS. WHat you think?
This is a common problem with SD trucks. I doubt you need a new power steering pump. I had the hose blow out on my 2001 F250 SD 7.3 last November. I replaced the hose myself and flushed the system. Go to YouTube to find how to do this.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Did the line blow off the pump where it connects or did it get a hole in it? From what I have read it is common for the line to blow off at the connection, so the strength of the line itself is not a problem, just the attachment point. The tiny clip that retains the fitting wears down over time as there is movement there and when enough material gets worn off the clip and the housing it lets go. I have an old thread from FTE bookmarked that goes into the problem in detail, if anyone is interested and if allowed I will post a link.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Please post the link, bigb. I've been able to post links from FTE and other forums here at TDS so far. It's great to learn from each other wherever we can find the info.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Reactions: bwst

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I have not had to replace mine yet - I'll bet it's on borrowed time. Will be taking a look at these pressure side lines and maybe purchasing some replacements to have on hand. Thanks for the link.

Earlier this year, added a boot to protect the CAC pipe from the sharp edges of the hose fitting. Pump on the left is not mine - too clean!, but illustrates the hose in question.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Light Vehicle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts