The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So My wife is sick of me trying to fix my truck. Pretty much last chance so if you can give me some directions I would appreciate it.

HI guys I am a newbie and just bought a 1999 f350 a few months ago. I only filled the tank a few times then parked it in the barn for several weeks. When I went to move it the truck won't start. It would turn over and fire but nothing else. I replaced both battery's, glow plug relay, all 8 glow plugs with new wiring harnesses, ICP, IPR, oil and fuel filter change. My oil is 15-40 and I used motor craft filters. My fuel canister has 50-60 PSI when cranking and now it fires every time but doesn't stay running. I also check all fuses. when cranking over the tac bounces a bit. Please help I am out of options. I posted on youtube for more details on the issues. thanks

·
Registered
586 Posts
There are many things than can cause a no-start. I would rule out the high pressure oil system first. If it's not making good high pressure oil, the injectors won't fire correctly and it won't stay running (if it even starts at all). Lots of things can cause problems with the high pressure oil system. Since you have replaced the ICP & IPR, those are probably okay. HPOP failures happen, but they typically are total failures that cause complete loss of high pressure oil and the engine won't start at all. Low pressure oil pump failure is unlikely in your case. Injector o-ring failure is a good possibility. What you really need to do is monitor the operation that you are getting with a program such as AutoEnginuity. This will tell you what pressure the ICP is seeing, as well as you IPR duty cycle. Low pressure with a high IPR duty cycle could definitely be an injector o-ring. Another thing you can do is pull the valve covers and look at the top of the injector where it goes into the cylinder head. Get the engine running the best you can (or at least watch it while cranking). If you see a gusher of oil coming up from the head under an injector, the upper o-ring on that injector is bad and you lose your high pressure oil. You might just need a $10 o-ring kit. Post your location - there may be someone near you who has AutoEnginuity that could monitor things for you.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Not knowing your location, I was thinking maybe your fuel gelled if your last fill-up was September but you have fuel pressure.

Out of curiousity, did you replace ICP/IPR with genuine Motorcraft parts? It gets pricey just throwing new parts at it, eh?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Unplug the icp and see if it starts.

Have you tried a new cps? They are cheap and easy to rule out

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I have tried to unplug the icp and no no results. I am guessing I spent close to $800 so far. But all of the parts looked like they looked old and rusty so I thought it would be a good thing to replace anyhow due to the fact those are main problems. I live in Edgerton, WI so I guess if somebody lived near me that would be great to use software to tell me more of the problems. If not I may just buy one. I also thought of dead heading the hpop also thought of taking the fill line off by the tank to see if i have fresh fuel leaving the take and returning. thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'd probably start with a cps, yes it's another part getting thrown at it but it's only about $25.
What is your temperature there? Have you plugged in the block heater? If not, plug it in and try again in a few hours.
Also inspect all your pigtail wires and wiring harnesses for chafing and or mouseing...
With 50-60 psi you have fuel, but you can open the pet-cock on the back of the fuel bowl and watch the fuel coming out the drain tube or catch it in a glass jar to inspect it for water/oil.
How much fuel is in the tank?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Now that I've watched the video...
Probably not the cps. (Although still not a bad idea to have a spare one around..)
Double check you valve cover gasket harness connections inside and out! Check the wiring harness where it goes over the valve cover for chafing.
Is there any oil/fuel in the valley of the motor?
Check for oil in the fuel bowl.
Plug in block heater let it warm for a few hours and try again.
It sounds to me like you either aren't getting enough fuel for it to run or aren't warm enough to light the fuel... which is likely a wiring problem at or under the valve cover.
You can also try giving the fuel pedal a tap or two while it's trying to fire and see if that gets you anywhere.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So i work all day today so tomorrow i will try to pump fuel in the jar. I do plug it in and all of my lines are warm so i know that works. I also have a charger hooked up to make sure i have enough power.There was a little old oil around the motor but not to bad. My tank is 3/4 full i forgot to put additive in the tank so i just did a week ago. The weather is around 30 degrees on average but going colder soon. When i changed my fuel filter i did notice muddy bottle of the canister i cleaned it good then filled bowel back with fresh fuel.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would it be easy to check wiring through my idm to see if i have a short somewhere. I tryed taking a good light and dig through the wiring. But there is a lot and there in tight places

·
Registered
628 Posts
Those tight places are the places to check! That and the uvch...
As for checking through the computer, sort of... getting a proper code reader to pull codes and run function tests will tell us a LOT! Without that we are really running blind and trying to point you towards the most likely problem. With these trucks for every symptom there are 15 possible problems....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So if i buy an AutoEnginuity and the software then i will at least have diagnostic reading to cross several things of the list. I plan to have the truck along time if it works do then it would be worth it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
If you plan to have this truck a long time and be able to work on it yourself then owning or having access to a PSD capable scan tool is a must! AE will pay for itself the fist time you correctly diagnose a problem that you otherwise would be throwing parts at!
I don't use AE but I understand that you want to be careful which version you buy to make sure you get the most recent version with all the proper enhancements...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got done talking to a sales guy. He said the ford enhancement package is only option for me having 7.3. The price he said was $359 that is a high price but still a lot cheaper than shop prices. I may order later today.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Make sure it is the latest revision. I think it's called gioti, but I'm really not 100% sure as I'm not personally familiar with AE, I just know a lot of guys here use it. I have access to a snap on tech tool through a shop I work with (unfortunately mine got stolen and I font have a few grand laying around to replace it at the moment. ..)

·
Registered
447 Posts
I think you ether have a fuel or high pressure oil problem. I am leaning towards fuel. It sounds like you have air the fuel side. Take the hose off at the turbo and while someone is cranking the motor over spray WD-40 into the turbo and let the motor run on it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Did you check the UVCH ? The video sounds like it is trying to run on only 1 bank of cylinders. You can remove the oil cap and give a sniff for the smell of burnt wires indicating one of the harnesses has shorted out and failed.

I would pull both of the valve covers and check that the connections are good and that none of the wires are fried.

If you are able to get it running (even barely idling) try disconnecting one harness at a time. If you disconnect and there is no change then that side is bad, if you disconnect and the engine stalls then that was the harness that was working.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That sure seems like an easy test. I will plug the truck in the morning and try to convince my wife to help me out later in the day. Thanks for help i will keep you guys informed

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In the beginning i checked for continuity at the harnesses and that's how i found 2-8 glow plugs failed. After replacing plugs and harnesses i have good continuity with plugs and injectors. But not sure if the wiring was fine from the computer to the harnesses.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Make sure you got the connectors on the outside of the valve cover gasket plugged in good and tight and straight.
Also look at the bottom side of the main harness where it comes over the driver side valve cover. It can rub there and the injector wires are the ones on the bottom....

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just to throw this out there, Try checking that glow plug relay again. I have had one fail a week after replacement and got one Dead from the get go. But plugging it in would rule that out.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts