The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put new shocks, new tires and left upper and lower ball joints. Still when i hit a bump in the road i hear some popping and things coming from the front end. Also some noise from in the cab maybe? i cant tell. New truck to me and i havent been able to get it on a rack yet. any ideas what i should check on the front end for noise? Also, when i hit a big bump, it seems the truck is rocking from side to side? i can tell a vast improvement of the suspension since i put on the shocks, but something isnt right still. Need to make my truck last. any help would be great.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
replace all the spring bushings adn the inner axle mounts with energy suspension units, that will help hugely

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Also some noise from in the cab maybe? i cant tell.
Tighten the 2 fender bolts near the rear of the fender. They have a composite shim that shrinks over time

Also, when i hit a big bump, it seems the truck is rocking from side to side?
May need to check the toe in on the wheels , or it may be" bump steer" , if it is lifted, or simply need an alignment ...(especially after ball joint install)

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Do all that has been recommended before but there is a TSB addressing the pops and clunks from the front end as well. The suspension is riveted to the frame and the rivets loosen. The fix is to remove the rivets and replace them with bolts. This sounds like a PITA to me and hope that the easier fixes correct your issue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may not be so swift lol? what is TSB, and PITA??

·
Registered
57 Posts
You know I had this terribly annoying noise that came from the front of my truck everytime I hit a tar strip or crack in the road. I took it to the reknown truck driveline and alignment shop in town and made the poor guy stick his head out the window and drive it the late winter and freeze his left ear off. He said he didn't hear anything. I found out that when I repalced my lockout hubs the noise went away. But I can tell you that I drove everybody nuts because the noise drove me nuts and nobody else could hear it. It was like a clanking sound- I repalced the leaf springs, the track bar bushings, bolts and shocks and here it was just the dang lock-outs.

Also my buddy with a '95 350 heard a clunking sound from the inside of his truck- turned out that the front axle was loose from the leaf springs- almost lost the axle from under his truck! Don't know how that would have loosened up on him...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Spring bushings front and rear, fender bolts.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I may not be so swift lol? what is TSB, and PITA??
Technical Service Bulletins are provided to dealers by Ford. TSBs frequently (but not always) address a recurring problem and include illustrated instructions for repair, a list of the parts needed, the warranty status and the labor charge. The TSB I referred to is 97-3-10. Its topic is: Frame-"Popping/Creaking"-Fastener Replacement, Noise-"Popping/Creaking"-Front Frame or Suspension Brackets. I have a copy and it is 19 pages long. I am not sure where you can get a free copy. This site gives some directions on getting TSBs Find Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) for your car online at Clever Dude Personal Finance & Money

PITA means it is a pain in the butt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts