The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to do the hgs and studs, and have the heads checked and resurfaced if you have a near by machine shop that you trust or have used before. I want to rebuild my oil rail, rebuild my turbo and upgrade the wheel, replace my injectors, glowplugs, egr and oil cooler and several other things while we are in there..

I live in Chicago but am willing to travel some distance to complete this job. I have been babying this thing for over a year with a bad egr cooler and almost certain the hgs are shot too.. I have been wrenching for almost 17 years and none of my vehicles have ever seen a shop; i don't trust them.. never have and never will.
Unfortunately, i don't have a garage or the space to do this in at the moment or else i would tackle this job from under the hood.
Other than the head removal tool, from what i know, there isn't any special tools required once the cab is removed? So, I should and will have all the tools needed to complete this job on hand, as well as my battery impact tools reduce the wrenching time. I want to remove the cab to perform all this work so a lift is a must. I have several shops in my area that will do this job. However, they will not allow me to participate, wont rebuild my oil rail nor service my turbo.

If anyone is interested or knows of anybody that lives near Chicago that may be interested. You have experience with the 6.0s cab removal have done head-gaskets before and a shop or garage with a lift to work in; we can work together to knock this job out faster than me working solo as this would be my first time. I am willing to pay GOOD money and i would appreciate it greatly.. Post here or PM me with details. Thanks guys and Best Regards

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I'm too far away to offer but I just wanted to mention I did it in my small(er) garage by pulling the engine out the front. I know that sounds like a nasty job and I guess to some, it is, but to be honest, I didn't mind it and I would do it again. It was also nice to be able to completely clean and paint the front frame section. I threw a new heater core in at the same time as the connections were super easy to get at. The only thing I sub'd out was emptying/refilling the A/C system.

If you have a look at post #44 in my work log below, you can see how nicely the engine bay cleaned up which means I can now keep an eye open for oil leaks easier and slow down any rusting. I was able to pickup a heavy duty 4 wheel engine stand from the classifieds for $40 to hang it on so I could roll it over, remove the oil pan to paint it plus check for debris and clean it out.

Just an idea if you find someone with a garage but no hoist.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm too far away to offer but I just wanted to mention I did it in my small(er) garage by pulling the engine out the front. I know that sounds like a nasty job and I guess to some, it is, but to be honest, I didn't mind it and I would do it again. It was also nice to be able to completely clean and paint the front frame section. I threw a new heater core in at the same time as the connections were super easy to get at. The only thing I sub'd out was emptying/refilling the A/C system.

If you have a look at post #44 in my work log below, you can see how nicely the engine bay cleaned up which means I can now keep an eye open for oil leaks easier and slow down any rusting. I was able to pickup a heavy duty 4 wheel engine stand from the classifieds for $40 to hang it on so I could roll it over, remove the oil pan to paint it plus check for debris and clean it out.

Just an idea if you find someone with a garage but no hoist.
If i only had another work truck, with the time and room to do that. I would love to get in there to clean the bay and paint it as well, i would probably upgrade the torque converter too.. Unfortunately, once i get into this job, i need to get this truck back on the road ASAP. Thanks for the suggestion though.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Yes, it certainly will add time to the job.... for sure.

Hopefully you can find someone, good luck with it and keep us posted on your progress!

·
Registered
160 Posts
good idea having experienced help from a specifically 6.0L owner; I wonder if you might be able to rent a lift at a local shop, some place not all that busy. Especially since you don't wish to let it sit around anyway. They're not really the kind of thing lots of people have in their home workshops.
Just food for thought, we have a couple of Jiffy-Lube type places around here that are shut down. They conceivably might rent you such a place for a month?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good idea having experienced help from a specifically 6.0L owner; I wonder if you might be able to rent a lift at a local shop, some place not all that busy. Especially since you don't wish to let it sit around anyway. They're not really the kind of thing lots of people have in their home workshops.
Just food for thought, we have a couple of Jiffy-Lube type places around here that are shut down. They conceivably might rent you such a place for a month?
Most of the shops around here are usually busy, but, i have given that some thought.. There is a place near me that may rent out a bay. I was trying to hold off on that option. I would really prefer to take this job on with someone who has had a great deal of experience with these trucks. I would hate to be wasting valuable shop time looking in a book or watching youtube videos of Diesel Tech Ron (RIP) on what to do next if you know what i mean..

·
Registered
160 Posts
wholeheartedly agree, and that was what I was suggesting - if you find a willing experienced helper, but one who doesn't have a lift, you could find another way to get to a lift.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts