The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Tx. trying to buy a used F-250, I'm looking at 2 but the miles are very high. I've never owned a diesel so I'm not 100% confident on what to check, etc. there is a 2003 xlt crew can 4wd that's had; 2016-07-169519.10.13.jpg , all that done but not bulletproofed. 322,000 miles is a lot. I'm sure I can get the truck for $7,000 or $7,400. The other is a 2007 xlt crew cab 4wd and has about the same miles and the guy says the engine was built, studded, deleted at 270,000 miles. I can get it for around the same price. One thing is the 2003 is nearly in perfect shape and I've been told it's been in there family since new. Should I get one of these or keep looking?

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
IMO, keep looking.

The 2003 can be a great truck but think that it will cost close to a 5K to bulletproof it. I would try to get one with less mileages on it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so I bought a 2006 F-250 w/245k. It's had a lot of stuff done like studded and egr tube bypass, why they didn't do the delete kit idk. There are still some issues I'm going to have to take care of like; taking care of the egr code that's showing up now as well as new glow plugs. There is an oil leak that's minor like 3-5 drops/20min of idling, looks to me like it's from the front seal, idk also slack in the steering which just from my looking the pitman semis wobbling front to back a lil instead of just twisting. There is a slight shimmy when first take of which I'm assuming is coming from the 2-piece drive shaft yoke being too dry at the hanger bearing, I plan on getting a new hanger bearing and putting grease in the yoke. Oh and the wrench light is on which after talking to a mechanic says it's more than likely the oil cooler. It runs great otherwise and I'm certain with a lil guidance I can do nearly all of this myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts