The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled into my driveway last night and I'm getting an air leak hissing sound when I turn the steering wheel. It is worse when I am not moving and the sharper I turn it. It will stop after a small period of time and will start again as soon as I turn it again. Alright, so I go outside a minute ago to test it and try to figure out the problem. Power steering fluid is fine, no leaks or fluid anywhere, no loose hoses, etc. that I can find. I took it for a test drive just down the street and it is steering fine and once going only makes the air sound if it gets turned fairly sharp? Here's the crazy thing...I was driving very slow in one of my neighborhood end circles and while it's hissing/air leaking I applied my brakes and the air leak sound stops immediately. So, I pull into my driveway and while sitting stopped I turn the wheel then apply the brakes the sound stops but the steering locks up as well. It doesn't actually lock it just gets to where you can't physically turn it while the brakes are applied. WHAT the heck is going on here?? What do I need to do?? Can I fix it myself...what do I need to look at? I'm lost!! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Need Help Fast...power steering air leak/brake related?

Nobody? Anybody?...Buehler? Buehler? Well, I have flushed my power steering fluid with 3 quarts of Mobil Synthetic ATF and it is still making the sound? It still sounds like I have on board air when I make a sharp turn or any turn at very slow speeds. It drives and steers fine and the brakes work great so what gives?? I've got to get rid of this annoying hissing sound from my hydro boost...sounds like my driver's side dash is going to blow out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif If there is a pressure release valve sticking open how can I fix it? I just had new front Power Slot rotors and high perf. pads put on the front a couple thousand miles ago...could this have gotten air into the system? Should I bleed the brake system?? My brakes work awesome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif Any help is appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Still no suggestions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif The X has been running, steering and braking fine but I still have the annoying sound on sharp turns or especially going slow in parking lots, subdivisions, etc. How can I bleed the air? Can it be done? Also, I just read in another post that some of us that have a creaky sound in our brake pedal might actually be the rubber seal on the master cylinder?? Could the sound I've started noticing about 3 months ago in my brake pedal be related to the new air hissing sound I'm getting when turning sharp? Could the seal be failing and letting air in? I have no idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
310 Posts

This spring/summer I had a noise and I was POSITIVE that it was failing power steering, either pump or box. I messed around with the fluid and had almost given up on it when I went to the stealer for an oil change. As I centered myself over the lube pit, the guy directing me hears the creak and says "sounds like ball joints" So does the hungry service writer who comes trotting over and the alignment tech who was instantly available from the garage... They put a steth. on the joints and sure enough, they were talking.

Lifetime-Lubricated, my hiney!!

I was going to hit them with some spray-lube, but they have since quieted down... no blood, no foul. Just something to check.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for the idea...but my ball joints are pretty new and my sound is positively coming from the hydroboost area. It sounds like it is coming out of my driver's side dash. It is definitely air moving and/or leaking or being released somewhere in my power steering system. Since I do not know or really understand how the hydroboost system works I cannot figure out the culprit or a possible solution.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts

Hi Jeff - I posted back a while ago with this problem and there was a similar response - anyway, Ford has a TSB out on it - I will look again for it. They say that it is contamination in the fluid going and the noise is the dirty fluid going through the hydroboost. The fix is to flush the system and put a filter on the return line. Then jack up the front and turn the wheels lock to lock about 30 times, press the brake about 30 times, and do the lock to lock again about 30 times (hard to recall now, but something like that). then remove the filter and all should be good.

I changed out about a cup of fluid and replaced with fresh. no change at all - then it just went away one day - but came back about a month later - so I have the problem again and now have some time to do the procedure. PM me your e-mail and when I find the procedure, I will send it through to you.

REgards,

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
99 F-SuperDuty grabbing brakes, pedal kickback, hissing when brakes are applied, increased steering effort:
This may be caused by power steering fluid contamination in the hydroboost system. There is a procedure for installing a temporary filter between the power steering pump and cooler to clean the system. After the cleaning procedure is complete and no brake grabbing or excessive steering effort is felt, remove and discard the filter. If brake grabbing continues, replace the hydroboost unit. If increased steering efforts continue, replace the power steering pump. Filter P/N F8DZ-3F595-AA; TSB# 99-25-8

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Here is another option I just came across - BTW - I understand that it does not cause any problems....

99-2000 F-Series Power Steering Noise (part number correction):
Some of these trucks with the PowerStroke engine may exhibit power steering noise. If this noise is objectionable, there is a revised P/S line for between the P/S pump and Hydrobooster--YC3Z-3A717-AA.
Broadcast Message #8724

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a bunch Flywheel!! I'll give it a whirl this weekend. I don't have the hard steering or brake problem just the annoying sound so maybe I'll start with the new hose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Well after a week and a half my air sound is gone! I did not have time to do anything else to it since I flushed it about a week and a half ago. Flushing my power steering with 3 quarts of Mobil synthetic ATF has done the trick apparently...it just took a while for the system to work itself out I guess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif It was an easy 15 minute two man procedure. If anyone needs directions let me know...I'll tell you what you need and how to do it. Once I identified the proper hose that runs from the master cylinder to the power steering reservoir (return line) it was and easy job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif We shall see if the sound stays gone.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Once I identified the proper hose that runs from the master cylinder to the power steering reservoir (return line) it was and easy job

[/ QUOTE ]I think that line to the reservoir comes from the hydroboost system, not the master cylinder.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now you see why that was the hardest part for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I just traced the line from the top of the power steering reservoir back to where it connected to the "hydroboost system". Thanks to this site a challenged idiot like me can do these things himself now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I disconnected the quick release compression clamp and slid it back on the hose then worked the hose loose. I then completely removed the clamp and used it to connect my 3/8" fuel hose to the hydroboost system and into my drain bucket. I was amazed at how fast the fluid pumped out of the reservoir when the wheels were cut and brakes were applied...it did not take long at all to run 3 quarts through. I had to stay on my toes and keep filling so it did not run dry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

·
Registered
147 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Here is another option I just came across - BTW - I understand that it does not cause any problems....

99-2000 F-Series Power Steering Noise (part number correction):
Some of these trucks with the PowerStroke engine may exhibit power steering noise. If this noise is objectionable, there is a revised P/S line for between the P/S pump and Hydrobooster--YC3Z-3A717-AA.
Broadcast Message #8724

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know which hose this replaces? I have done the flush with syn ATF, and that has taken care of 90% of the noise, but I want to try this hose before I put another $400 in the dealers pocket to replace the hydroboost.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Holy Molly!!
I have problem right now with hissing sound comming out of the steering, and I dont know if my truck needs steering fluid or I gotta do this "hissing project".
I just asked few minutes ago what kind of steering fluid to use, and now I found this thread related.
I am so confused! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Use synthetic ATF for the PS pump.
DENNY

·
Registered
1 Posts
just started job as diesel mechanic have 4 yrs exp anyways they wanted me to put a turbo and brake booster on this 2006 ford f350 99k miles looks like its been worked hard turbo looks same but it doesnt have brake booster must be the hydro boost thing your talking about has soft brakes really loud noise when applied they go 3/4 down and spongy so does anyone have pics of procedure to flush or anything that would save shop money so i can get my raise dont have time to trace lines and troubleshoot just wanna fix quickest way possible got 40 other trucks semis to maintain any advice? thx

·
Registered
1 Posts
I pulled into my driveway last night and I'm getting an air leak hissing sound when I turn the steering wheel. It is worse when I am not moving and the sharper I turn it. It will stop after a small period of time and will start again as soon as I turn it again. Alright, so I go outside a minute ago to test it and try to figure out the problem. Power steering fluid is fine, no leaks or fluid anywhere, no loose hoses, etc. that I can find. I took it for a test drive just down the street and it is steering fine and once going only makes the air sound if it gets turned fairly sharp? Here's the crazy thing...I was driving very slow in one of my neighborhood end circles and while it's hissing/air leaking I applied my brakes and the air leak sound stops immediately. So, I pull into my driveway and while sitting stopped I turn the wheel then apply the brakes the sound stops but the steering locks up as well. It doesn't actually lock it just gets to where you can't physically turn it while the brakes are applied. WHAT the heck is going on here?? What do I need to do?? Can I fix it myself...what do I need to look at? I'm lost!! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Deborah,

If you are having a mechanical issue then it is better to start a new topic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts