The Diesel Stop banner

Need help w/99 F250 7.3 powerstroke

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  gscotta39 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and in need of some help.I have a 99 7.3 that has 290,000 miles on it. The problem came out of the blue this winter. The truck had been starting/running fine and gave no trouble codes/check engine light when the problem started. My problem occurs a couple of minutes after initial startup. It will crank right up,but if I don't let it get up to normal operating temp before I start to drive off it'll go about 400 feet and then start bogging down and running rough until it eventually shuts off. I would compare it to a carbuerated engine that has a choke stuck closed. It'll eventually crank back up,but has no increase in rpm when applying throttle. It also smokes like crazy, idles severly rough and will eventually die again. I will go through this about 4 or 5 times before it will start and stay running. The rpm's will eventually increase, but it runs as if it has a dead cylinder or two. Once it warms up to normal op temp it will run fine.It only does this on cold starts. Once the engine is warmed up it will crank right up and run fine the rest of the day. Anyone have a clue what it could be? Let me say thanks in advance for your help.....Scott.

#3 ·
more importantly,check hpop oil level after it sits,if oil is draining back down it can cause this issue

#5 ·
Like said before check the main oil level. Then the oil level in the high pressure oil pump reservoir. The resevoir is in the top front of the engine under the Powerstroke cover in front of the fuel filter. There is a hex head plug on the top. Take it out and the oil should be about 1/4 below the top.

If this is ok. Time to check low pressure oil pressure and high pressure oil pressure. You can make gauges for this or use a scanner. But, the scanner can only do high pressure oil. The computer, does not look at low oil pressure. I think it should but then I did not design it.

Low oil pressure side cirulates oil throught the engine and high pressure oil runs the injectors. Low oil psi on either side will the high side or low side will cause running issues.

#6 ·
yes check the oil level of your vehichle your problem sounds exactly like mine and I fixed it by adding more oil to my truck it was low but not low enough to read on guages. Its not enough oil to run your HPOP for your fuel injectors. Good luck!

#8 ·
Well, the oil change seems to have remedied the problem. I didn't realize how sensitive these engines could be to the oil. It was only a couple thousand past due, which btw, has happened before and never had a problem. I guess with 290k on the odometer I'll have to keep it on schedule now. Been a helluva truck though. Thanks again ya'll.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.