The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 7.3 power stroke that will not start. I go to turn the key and it will not even try to turn over. Just makes a faint click and that’s it. There’s no starter relay on the fender so I can’t even mess around with that. I’ve checked all the fuses and they’re all good. I’ve swapped the starter out with another and that’s not the problem either

·
Super Moderator
26,393 Posts
Your batteries may just be too weak. Can you get it to crank by jumpering the solenoid on the starter?
If you didn't use a meter to check the fuses, it's still possible that one is bad.
It's possible that the starter relay in the Central Junction Box under the dash is bad. Here's a diagram for location of that relay.
[on edit] You should also check to be sure the shifter is not loose. Have you tried starting in neutral or jiggling the shifter when trying to start?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your batteries may just be too weak. Can you get it to crank by jumpering the solenoid on the starter?
If you didn't use a meter to check the fuses, it's still possible that one is bad.
It's possible that the starter relay in the Central Junction Box under the dash is bad. Here's a diagram for location of that relay.
[on edit] You should also check to be sure the shifter is not loose. Have you tried starting in neutral or jiggling the shifter when trying to start?
Yeah I tried putting it in neutral and starting it and even went under the dash to try seeing if it was loose. I also tried swapping the relays on the fuse panel around and still no start. When I try arching the 2 nodes on the starter it does want to engage and start but not enough to actually start it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update on another problem I see is that when I have the key turned in the same position you would for the glow plugs the abs light kicks on and off. As it does that the stereo does the same at the same rate the abs light does

·
Super Moderator
26,393 Posts
Based on the flickering ABS light and stuttering stereo, I would check your ignition switch. The actual switch is under the dash, connected by a rod to the key cylinder. That may be the cause of both problems, especially if the switch has a loose power connection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Based on the flickering ABS light and stuttering stereo, I would check your ignition switch. The actual switch is under the dash, connected by a rod to the key cylinder. That may be the cause of both problems, especially if the switch has a loose power connection.
thank you I’ll give that a shot by the way while I was messing with everything which I should probably stop doing at this point but now when I go to turn the key in the glow plug position relay 303 injector drive module relay is buzzing

·
Registered
2001 F250 4x4 camper and towing package
3 Posts
Did you check that your batteries are charged and the connections are clean? Did you check the fuses for the dash and stereo?

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
As has been suggested, start with checking your batteries charge, age, condition and also 12V system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts