The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am located in Denison Texas about 8 miles from the OK/TX border. I am having issues with starting the truck and keeping it running. If I crank and hold it for a while it like sputter and crank over for about a minute or so, put out some white-gray smoke, and then die out. I don't have a programmer or gauges other than the factory. i have replaced the batteries and battery connections about a week ago. New fuel filter about two weeks ago. i also replaced the icp sensor about a month ago. i have tools with me but cant afford a scanner. i have a test light and volt meter if that helps. The weather is about 50 degrees at night when i'm attempting to start the truck after getting off from work.

·
Premium Member
14,689 Posts
Try plugging the truck in for a few hours. If that helps, you may have worn poppets. They make cold starts hard to impossible. I will insert a link later that explains why. How many miles on your injectors?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,689 Posts
That's a lot of miles on a set of injectors. If it runs ok warm, do the spacers on them. Read the link to see why this is your problem and then get the kit I mention below.

View attachment PoppetValve.pdf

Go to eBay. Search for "94-03 7.3L POWERSTROKE injector tune up shim KIT w/ special Tools to install" by a guy named truckrental. This kit will raise the armature plate off the poppet valve which is your problem. Watch the video and read the whole item description in the ebay ad.

Edit - you can do the shimming with the injectors in the truck, BUT with that many miles you probably need new injector o-rings as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I will look online and get the kit ordered. It is just recently getting cold and so I guess the problem is more pronounced. Thank you for quick responses and explanations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Another thing to check on these trucks is fuel delivery. The Hutch mod and a fuel pressure gauge are invaluable additions to these trucks as they age, I wouldn't be without them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay updates. So I kept reading around the forum while waiting for the shims kit and found other things to do. I checked the GP relay and found it no power when on to the other big terminal. I replaced it and tried to start it, which it started but died shortly after. I read some more and checked the HPOP reservoir and found it almost empty. I filled it and tried to start it for the same result. I checked the HPOP again and half the oil was gone... I then decided to check the dipstick to no find no oil on the dipstick. I need help and a scanner recommendation that will get me going and keep me going. Thanks again for everyone’s time and input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,689 Posts
So, did you add oil? I didn’t mention glow plugs for two reasons. First, a 7.3 will start in 50 degree weather without a problem. Second, it wouldn’t explain it dying after starting. Low oil would though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,439 Posts
I'm with RT.
You need to find out where all the oil went.
Check the engine valley and the hoses between the HPOP and heads.
A 7.3L should go 5000 miles without needing to add oil.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Start by filling it up with oil, and then see if it runs alright with full oil. Then look at the top of the engine while it is running to see if you can see the oil leaking out somewhere, and check the valley to see if there is oil in there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts