The Diesel Stop banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
One more note....

Though others seem to disagree, I believe that if you have a stock 3" exhaust you will not get the full advantage of these upgrades. It is choking the engine's efforts to breath. I recommend that a minimum of a 4" pipe be installed from the turbo back. You probably do not have a cat on your 7.3L so you should be able to install a larger pipe from the turbo back.

Mine is a MBRP because the sound file sounds good on their website. Along with the stainless products available. And yes, it does sound in real life as it does in the sound clips on their website. The muffler is also a "straight pipe" design. It goes on easily. Though I did have it intalled by a exhaust shop nearby. They welded it together and I expect it to last a very long time.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
the cfm+ is an intake manifold, this is new to my dad and myself. some say to put this on before doing the intercooler. i have an intercooler, but my dad didnt. it did give better throtle (smoother,crisp) and did cool the egts down on my dads complety stock truck. and im happy to say both of us have gained mpg. kinda spendy but really does work. on both trucks we removed the heater elements out of the intake.

CFM Plus Diesel Performance Intake Manifolds

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a 01-7.3 auto supercab 3.73 gears and pull a 31 fifth wheeler that weighs 10,800 mty with 2,080 TW weight. I have pulled thru denver,durango ect when I had a K&N drop in,walker btm and edge evolution on the 60hp towe mode and averaged 13 on the 4K trip. I now have a S&B filter and ball buster turbo and have gotten high 10's going to Virginia and Tenn.The trick is to stay in the power band,2000 to 2500.If you put a open air cleaner you,the ats housing will stop surge with the stock wheel. My stock transmission has been fine.I also had a 850lb electraglide on a swivel wheel on the back of the camper.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I have a 01-7.3 auto supercab 3.73 gears and pull a 31 fifth wheeler that weighs 10,800 mty with 2,080 TW weight. I have pulled thru denver,durango ect when I had a K&N drop in,walker btm and edge evolution on the 60hp towe mode and averaged 13 on the 4K trip. I now have a S&B filter and ball buster turbo and have gotten high 10's going to Virginia and Tenn.The trick is to stay in the power band,2000 to 2500.If you put a open air cleaner you,the ats housing will stop surge with the stock wheel. My stock transmission has been fine.I also had a 850lb electraglide on a swivel wheel on the back of the camper.
That is almost identical to my set-up. My dry weight is right at 10K. I am going with the S&B filter also, so I am glad to hear you like it. I am going to stick with the stock wheel for now, from everything I have heard about the ww, banks, whatever,they are quite a bit louder and that is a no-no. Thanks for the post, helps cement the direction I am heading!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Boxes have started showing up and running out pf places to hide from the wife. I did have a question about the turbo set-up. I am going to be running the banks big head on the ATS compressor with a DP Tuner. Is the big head adjustable? What is a good amount of boost? Jody had said I could get up to 32 psi, but that seems high. Is there a number I should keep it under? I have read that anything over 25 could be bad news. I read the instructions on the banks big head and not sure I get the adjustment thing. Any advice?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Boxes have started showing up and running out pf places to hide from the wife. I did have a question about the turbo set-up. I am going to be running the banks big head on the ATS compressor with a DP Tuner. Is the big head adjustable? What is a good amount of boost? Jody had said I could get up to 32 psi, but that seems high. Is there a number I should keep it under? I have read that anything over 25 could be bad news. I read the instructions on the banks big head and not sure I get the adjustment thing. Any advice?
Yes, most will agree that a stock turbo shouldn't be ran over 25psi max.
Many will suggest staying below 22 to be safe.
I've set mine up to max out right around 20psi WOT.
I'm guessing this is just slightly higher than the stock wastegate was, but more importantly it's holding shut longer and is more predictable...opens smoothly.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Guys, thanks to everyone with helping me mod my truck. I finally got everything in on it and couldn't be happier with the results. Now, I will focus my time on negotiating my way back into my house with my wife. :nono: If only I had the money I had to spend on her diamond apology ring to spend on my truck. Could easily have gotten over 500hp! :sneaky: I posted a couple of pictures on here with the results, again without all of your help I would have had no idea what to do. Happy and safe holidays to all of you and your families!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts