The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys?
I'm in the market of buying my first diesel truck and I've been looking for a while and found one I liked and went to the dealership yesterday. It was a 1997 Ford F250 with a 7.3 powerstroke but after looking at it in person and the fact that it wouldn't start, it was a no go. But the salesman showed me another one they had and after i drove it i fell in love. So i was set to go and could walk out the door with it but i told him i wanted to think about it some more and wanted to see what yall thought.
Here's the link to it: Used 2002 Dodge Ram Pickup for Sale in Lubbock TX 79412 Hayes Motor Co.

My main concern is it has over 300,000 miles. And yes i know that diesels last longer than gas trucks but at the same time with that amount of miles, who knows how many owners its had or how it was driven.

THe bigger concern is the price. I mean almost $13,000? Come on. He knowcked it down to $9,600 but still KBB says it should be between $5,300-$6,800 and the truck runs great but the interior's a little torn up and i dont care but it should knowck the price down. Also it has a crack on the Driver's side of the windshield and in Texas it's illegal fora vehicle to have any dmage to the windshiel in the Driver's field of visin. So i can probably get him to drop the price then too. But i just wanted some help to tell me what y'all think.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Whats up guys?
I'm in the market of buying my first diesel truck and I've been looking for a while and found one I liked and went to the dealership yesterday. It was a 1997 Ford F250 with a 7.3 powerstroke but after looking at it in person and the fact that it wouldn't start, it was a no go. But the salesman showed me another one they had and after i drove it i fell in love. So i was set to go and could walk out the door with it but i told him i wanted to think about it some more and wanted to see what yall thought.
Here's the link to it: Used 2002 Dodge Ram Pickup for Sale in Lubbock TX 79412 Hayes Motor Co.

My main concern is it has over 300,000 miles. And yes i know that diesels last longer than gas trucks but at the same time with that amount of miles, who knows how many owners its had or how it was driven.

THe bigger concern is the price. I mean almost $13,000? Come on. He knowcked it down to $9,600 but still KBB says it should be between $5,300-$6,800 and the truck runs great but the interior's a little torn up and i dont care but it should knowck the price down. Also it has a crack on the Driver's side of the windshield and in Texas it's illegal fora vehicle to have any dmage to the windshiel in the Driver's field of visin. So i can probably get him to drop the price then too. But i just wanted some help to tell me what y'all think.
14 years old.
300K miles on odo.
2-wheel drive.
Cracked windshield means previous owner quit taking care of it some time back and diesels that are not properly maintained become very expensive diesels to keep repairing.

Either lowball him so you have some money for repairs or keep looking. The perfect truck will come along.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
14 years old.
300K miles on odo.
2-wheel drive.
Cracked windshield means previous owner quit taking care of it some time back and diesels that are not properly maintained become very expensive diesels to keep repairing.

Either lowball the hell out him so you have some money for repairs or keep looking. The perfect truck will come along.

Good luck.
What do you think a reasonable price would be for it?

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
What do you think a reasonable price would be for it?
You would be best finding someone you really trust to answer that. I would not want to encourage you to spend your hard earned dollars.

I can tell you this, though...there are much better trucks out there in that price range and a private party seller that can provide you with a long service history and receipts is a much safer bet than a used car salesman.

Sorry I can't help you more than that.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
This is a good search tool.

SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more

Just plug in your:
--zip code,
--search distance (try 1,000 miles atleast)
--basic truck description (dodge diesel),
--low/high price range,
--then choose "with pictures"
--Section "Cars & Trucks"
--Press Search
It will ask you if you want to stay on page, I always stay on page, the option on the right in the pop-up.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome thank yall so much. Even though im looking at a dodge and this is a ford forum yall have really helped me. Thank yall again

·
Registered
628 Posts
A lot of us work on more than just ford... (Although ford powerstroke is most definitely my preference...)
That said, the advice above is sound but there are a few things to add.
KBB is a great tool however 'blue book' value versus market value can be completely different. The dodge and ford diesels have been holding a much higher than book market resale value for quite some time.
That truck in this area would probably be around $7-9k depending on how nice it was. In 4x4 it would be $8-12...
The biggest things to look at on the dodge is front end (they have lots of ball joint problems) and transmission. The cummins puts out a LOT of torque and the transmission isn't always up to the task if it was used for heavy constant towing or hot rodded.
As for the interior of a dodge, the dash is likely to be cracked (I haven't found an older one yet that isn't, including mine...) and the edge of the driver seat is likely very worn...
Other than that, happy hunting and good on you for doing your research!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Reactions: ArcticDriver
1 - 10 of 10 Posts