The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've done a couple tows with the new truck and desperately want to get rid of the turbo lag. Had my girlfriend yelling at me one time as I started from a stop going uphill and the truck was a dog. Old 7.3l chipped manual had instant power.

My concern is obvious, don't want to stretch the head bolts.

Truck has sufficient towing power pulling 8000-9000 lbs T.T.

I've got Edge CTS with EGT, blue spring, Bulletproof EGR cooler, rebuilt oil cooler, running CAT ELC and other upgrades seen in the signature.

My confusion is comparing SCT to PHP (Atlas 40), doing a CAT delete or not and is going economy mode even worth the cost? I'm going to keep the muffler since family was the one that insisted on upgradeing the old truck due to noise and smell.

My initial choice was going to be PHP Atlas 40 until I saw the torque chart showing 700 ftlbs and thought that will blow a gasket!

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
with the sct your looking at pcm tuning vs the php ficm tuning. basically the ficm controls the fuel and timing of it. the pcm can have a tune written to do what ever it wants but the ficm has to allow it. if that makes sense. with my exp on the 6.0 pcm tuning using the sct device is night and day difference. i plan to do some ficm tuning at some point with the goal mainly in mpg increase.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
which SCT tune are you using with the stock head bolts? do you know if Ford ever made a change to the stock head bolt size from 2003-2004? I guess my main concern will always be blowing a gasket.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
The head bolt size is the same for all 6.0L's.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I typically run a race tune. Have since I got the truck so since 43k truck now has 95k+ keep in mind I don't beat on it and I don't typically tow anything with a race tune

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The head bolts are the same size. They did change the alignment dowels when they commonised the motor in 06

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was confused because PHP web site said the 6.0 increase head bolt size to 18 mm, but now I understand that is a dowel (alignment?) for changing over to 6.4L production.

Can't run the race cause towing 8k lbs. Is the stree tune the next lower?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
With the sct and custom tuning you would want a tow tune. Typically between 40-80hp over stock. Some guys use a street tune but fo me I use a 80hp tow tune with turbo braking

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fedxairmech I've never heard of this. Wouldn't the turbo size depend on the year. Reconditioning a turbo doesn't make it shrink. And a smaller turbo would spool faster

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Unfortunately, it is sort of the nature of the beast. 6.0l's just do not come of idle very well, especially if you floor the throttle. It has to do with the way the VVT and PCM operate together. When you floor the 6.0l from idle the PCM demands more boost and limits the amount of fuel injected until that boost occurs, in the mean time the VVT vanes deflect hard to build the boost faster. When this happens there is an initial rapid build-up of back pressure until the turbo spools. Once the pressure is sufficient, the vanes open, pressure is released, fueling is restored, and tires break loose. Some tunes and modules will give you more initial fueling to help, but the best remedy is to roll the throttle or power brake.

·
Premium Member
4,119 Posts
I might be new to this forum, but I would like to share alittle infomation.
The recondition turbo is smaller in size than the the stock factory turbo that came on you truck. How do I know? well I have been own to play with these turbo, actually have taken apart and measured over 80 of these powerstroke turbos. I believe that some of your trouble is the turbo you have. Just thought I would share with you.
Reconditioned by WHOM?? What's to say the original turbo wasn't removed and cleaned?? I guess you got a crystal ball and know the history of the OPs truck.

Adrian you are MUCH smarter than to make a comment like that......

The Atlas 40 is a mild tune for the FICM so towing shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought a recondition kit that is just sanding disks for a die grinder to clean off carbon buildup and rust. I did it at 128k miles and highly recommend people do it cause there was a lot to be removed.

I'm off to diag a overheat issue that sounds like a fan clutch problem p0528 code came on . If that be the case then I"m looking at PHP Econo for the FICM and SCT to shut off the EGR valve and a light tow tune.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts