The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about 13-15 years worth of solid daily service In my van( 1996 e250 gas) its finally time to replace the drivers seat, it is just past the point of no return, it needs replaced badly! I spend sometimes 8 hours a day in it and need something firm thats comfy all day. Keeping cost In mind---Should I buy an aftermarket seat? If so, exactly what? Should I grab a seat out of a newer year?,,, will it bolt right in? Or should I just re-uppolster? Its hurting the back, need suggestions!
Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
It depends, I raised and moved back my seat and the wifes seat.
It is up about 1" and it is back a bit more than stock.. so if you are handy then look for a used seat out of a newer year from a junk yard... or some one parting out a van.
I know that I will be looking at replacing mine in a few years, my 2000 is at 266K... and the drivers seat does show signs of replace at some time.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I believe the guys @ U-Joint have someone that makes new foam for the ford van seats, I have never seen or sat in one. The stock foam seems kinda lame. The van seats are unique because they sit on such a high pedestal, most any pedestal seat can work, but very few vehicles use that style any more.

The Toyota Sienna seats are popular.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/114704-The-not-so-definitive-guide-to-Sienna-seats

You can go aftermarket new, but you gonna pay $400 a seat.

Captain Chairs - VAN SEATS

Or go look in the boneyard

Or go old school and put in bench : )

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up getting 2 good seats from a 2002, they have the armrest too,,for 80 $ I couldn't refuse. Unfortunately absolutly nothing was the same,and nothing bolted up. I even tried using the old pedestal and tried taking things apart to see if anything was interchangeable, nope! Gonna have to just drill through the floor and add some bolts. As of right now im hangin on with 1 bolt and the edge of a washer
Lol!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I have taken some photos of how I did my seats, think that you might like the idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats pretty slick actually, do you have a link to your seat bracket fab job? I was thinking just drill more holes and just add bolts and washers,....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys I'm new on the forum but seen this recent thread about seats I have a 2000 E350 psd... driver seat is getting rough don't really wanna go with the same seat setup as there's no room for a third person it's got a cargo wall but I was thinking uhaul uses e350 cabs and they have bench style seats... but not really easy to come by... someone know if I can interchange anything from a truck?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thats pretty slick actually, do you have a link to your seat bracket fab job? I was thinking just drill more holes and just add bolts and washers,....
You think that I had a plan on paper? You mistake who I am... thinking as I go along or thinking with a VERY LARGE BOX.
What really put it the front of the stove so to speak was the wife saying that if I wished to have her along in the van I had to do some thing with the seat.
So an idea was born from what my boss back in the 90's had me do to his S10... he was a big man and the normal seat was just too close so he laid out a plan that I followed with different materials than what I used in the van.

The idea was to move the seat back and in looking around for materials to use to move the seats back from the standard the angle metal came into play.
It was a small challenge in getting the OEM bolts out from the stand and then the seat but it can be done.
Then the lower track goes down on the stand and then the upper track goes onto the seat.
Then the two sets of track come together and depending on how far back you wish to have the seat depends on where the you put the 4 bolts to hold the tracks together.
I did use grade 8 bolts all the way around.
Once I was done I did find that the seats where about an 1 higher than before but no real bigge.. the seats do go back more than they did before the mod.
When I had the engine worked on, ie injectors I removed the passenger seat and undid the bolts for the drivers seat so that they could remove it for working on the engine. They did say that it helped a great deal in working on the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just replaced the seats in my 96 E-Super Duty bus with a set of Ford factory power Captain's Chairs from a 94 window van. These things are much more comfortable than the base seats. Bolted right in. Bought from a u-pull-it yard for $50/pair.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just replaced the seats in my 96 E-Super Duty bus with a set of Ford factory power Captain's Chairs from a 94 window van. These things are much more comfortable than the base seats. Bolted right in. Bought from a u-pull-it yard for $50/pair.
What year(s) were swapped. I want to swap my 2002 cargo (driver and passenger) from a 2003 window van that I have. Both are power and hope that they bolt right up...

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Were the captain chairs OE Ford or conversion van ?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
You think that I had a plan on paper? You mistake who I am... thinking as I go along or thinking with a VERY LARGE BOX.
What really put it the front of the stove so to speak was the wife saying that if I wished to have her along in the van I had to do some thing with the seat.
Most guys might say, "really gonna miss ya hun" :banana::lol: And if I'm MIA you know mine read this! :twak:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old post..I’m having difficulty finding information on the bolt pattern for a 1992 Ford box truck front seat . Is the bolt pattern the same as a 1999 E150 van? Interested in swapping rear seat from E150 to front seats in box truck. Or swapping e150 front and rear and then using the fronts in the box truck
All e150 seats are captains chairs
Thanks
Corissa

·
Super Moderator
9,038 Posts
Just find some that you like and then get some metal and fabricate a mount for them.

If you don't want to fabricate a mount I am sure that there is a metal shop in your area that could take care of it.

·
Super Moderator
9,038 Posts
All you really need to do is to have the new seats, then if they don't fit arrange some metal on top of the existing mounting holes in the vehicle along with the mounting holes for the new seats. Then stick the pieces of metal together either by bolting or a preferred method of welding.

Depending on how thing are you can use either some channel iron or square tubing. The channel iron would work best for the new mounts where you can bolt it to the existing holes and blind nuts in the floor, it can also be used for the new seats. Then once you have the metal on both the old and new set the new seats into the vehicle and either weld or mark very well where they need to be welded. Then take both down to a welding shop and have them stick them together.

I'm always making something like this and have the required tools to do it and it is hard to actually describe how to do it, but is is fairly straight forward it just takes a little bit of time to figure it out.

·
Administrator
24,976 Posts
Alaskapsdvan's setup used readily available perforated angle iron. Pretty slick solution.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Don't just drill holes in the floor where the new seats' bolts go. The floor is only reinforced where it was designed for seats (& belts) to attach. So either build adapters that connect the new seats to the original floor reinforcements, or add reinforcements beneath the floor (strong enough to keep an adult & seat attached during a rollover) where the new seats need them.

Even Ford goofed it in the late 80s:

I put E150 chairs in one of my Broncos by adding plates on top of the floor, shown on this page & the NEXT few:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts