The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gents,

My shocks are due for replacement...maybe overdue.

I am considering the Bilstein 5100 Series but would be interested in your own experiences.

I am not an off-roader but am leaning toward the Bilstein because I have read reports on other brands leaking after 20K miles.

Opinions/Suggestions appreciated.

Also, is there still such a thing as "Buy 3 and Get the 4th One FREE"?

I can get the entire set of four shipped for about $284.

Fair?

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I'm a big fan of Bilstein 5100's. I've had them on each one of my trucks and they're mainly pavement pounders or the occasional dirt road runner for hauling the bikes or sleds. Plus, Bilstein has a pretty good warranty.

Rancho had a deal called their "shocktober" sale where you purchase 3 and get the 4th free, but I'm not aware of any mfg specials like that going on right now. I'm going to give the Rancho 9000XL's a shot on my truck with the adjustable options (for different reasons than most people).

The Fox 2.0 Shocks are also a very nice shock. Don't have much experience, but a few close acquaintances have them and really like the shocks.

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a big fan of Bilstein 5100's. I've had them on each one of my trucks and they're mainly pavement pounders or the occasional dirt road runner for hauling the bikes or sleds. Plus, Bilstein has a pretty good warranty.

Rancho had a deal called their "shocktober" sale where you purchase 3 and get the 4th free, but I'm not aware of any mfg specials like that going on right now. I'm going to give the Rancho 9000XL's a shot on my truck with the adjustable options (for different reasons than most people).

The Fox 2.0 Shocks are also a very nice shock. Don't have much experience, but a few close acquaintances have them and really like the shocks.
Thanks for the info Cody.

Our dirt roads are getting alot of washboard and I heard what sounds like a dead shock up front.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Oh no that's no fun! Been down that road before. <--No pun intended. :lol:

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Really happy with the Bilstein 4600 hd series (yellow/blue) on my '05. Not as pretty as the 5100's, but perform way better than the factory shocks.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Heard bilstein 5100 are the way to go with these truck. Thats my nect choice

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Cody Im considering them as well buddy. Let me know how they are.

Arcticdriver, I will to bet your sound is a/the front sway bar link/links.
Check it out.
Will do Nick. Most of the guy's here with Dmax's love them so we shall see how it does on the tank. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Foolish question but is this stock or is that a "lift"?

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Really happy with the Bilstein 4600 hd series (yellow/blue) on my '05. Not as pretty as the 5100's, but perform way better than the factory shocks.
Hmmm...these are $12/shock cheaper.

Bilstein says the 5100 is a "softer" ride than the HD4600.

Article describing the difference:

FAQ: What is the Difference Between a Bilstein 5100 Series Shock and a Bilstein Heavy Duty Shock?

Although they are different brands and may appear to be very different from each other the Bilstein 5100 and Heavy Duty actually share many of the same components and ride characteristics.

The main difference between the Bilstein Heavy Duty vs Bilstein 5100s is that the Heavy Duty or 4600 series is designed for stock height trucks and the 5100 Series is built for lifted trucks. The other major difference between the Heavy Duty and 5100 is that the Bilstein 5100 Series shocks have a zinc coating with a brushed metal shock body and a black boot while the Heavy Duty uses a painted yellow body with a blue dust boot.

The Similarities: The 5100 series and the Heavy Duty shocks use the same technology internally. Both use the same internal valving and at stock height will ride the same (shocks for lifted trucks may use different valving settings in order to accommodate the extra weight of larger tires). Both shocks are pressurized with 360 psi of nitrogen to prevent shock fade and foaming of the shock oil. The outer construction of both shocks is identical as well with an extruded metal body rather for maximum strength and top of the line seals. The 5100 series and Heavy Duty 4600 series are both covered under Bilstein's limited lifetime warranty that protects against any manufacturer defects for the life of the shock.

For stock height trucks, the Bilstein Heavy Duty yellow and blue shocks are the most popular choice, because they typically cost a few dollars less than the 5100 shocks and provide excellent performance for towing, light offroading or normal driving. Many customers do prefer the 5100 Series even on stock trucks because the shortest 5100s are typically built for 0 to 2 inches of suspension lift, meaning they can run the 5100 on their stock height truck but leave the option open for a lift later on down the road.

For leveled trucks, where the owner has either purchased an aftermarket leveling kit or turned their truck's torsion keys up, Bilstein has shocks designed specifically for a 1-3 inch leveling kit. On some trucks with coilover type front shocks, a Bilstein 5100 Leveling Shock is available that is capable of lifting the front of the vehicle up. We recommend using the 5100 rear shocks along with your front 5100s on leveled trucks because the rear 5100 shocks are usally an inch longer than stock to accommodate a small lift. In our experience, once someone gets a taste of lifting their truck, they always go back for more. If you already have the 5100 shocks on the rear, you always have that option without needing to buy new shocks when you decide to add the lift.

For lifted trucks, the Bilstein 5100 series is the only choice. With a few exceptions, all Heavy Duty shocks are designed only for use on stock height trucks. Bilstein 5100 shocks are designed for every size of lift for popular trucks, so whether your truck is a modified daily driver or an all-out offroad monster, there is a Bilstein 5100 shock to fit it.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I like Gabriel Ultras (CarQuest Bruisers).

I think those were about $18ea on eBay, and my previous set has over 300Kmi (maybe 500Kmi). They're still working fine with a lot of road use, and some HEAVY off-road abuse.

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like Gabriel Ultras (CarQuest Bruisers).

I think those were about $18ea on eBay, and my previous set has over 300Kmi (maybe 500Kmi). They're still working fine with a lot of road use, and some HEAVY off-road abuse.
Steve,

I don't see what truck you have in your Sig.

Have you used these on F-250 4x4 ?

That price means I could get a set of 4 for the price of one Bilstein.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
IMO you pay for what you get, i bought a set of zone off road shocks at 33$ each and they where done after 4 months

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Check it out.
I think you are right. Its got some "play".

Without a press, do you recommend rebuilding or just replacing?

I am leaning toward replacing with new.

Thanks for the heads-up, Nick.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Steve,
I don't see what truck you have in your Sig.
Did you click it? It's also the top one in my avatar.
Have you used these on F-250 4x4 ?
Not exactly. My Bronco is built slightly heavier than factory, but still not quite up to F250 specs. I occasionally USE it that way, though... >:)

. . . . . . . .
That price means I could get a set of 4 for the price of one Bilstein.
Yeah, I know.
IMO you pay for what you get, i bought a set of zone off road shocks at 33$ each and they where done after 4 months
It doesn't sound like you got what you paid for, and I know for SURE I've never gotten what I paid for when I was foolish enough to buy from the zone.

The trick is that you don't HAVE to pay for MORE than you get, and in this case, ~$20ea is enough to work & last for decades.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I run 5100's on my lifted F350SD and they are the best shocks I've ever had. Meanwhile, I'm attempting the same project as you and searching for shocks for my stock Excursion.

I just spoke to Bilstein and they said they do not make 5100's for the rear of a stock Excursion. Bilstein states the 5100 is geared to fit lifted applications and they specifically recommend the 4600 series for a stock application. I'm not sure if that may apply to your vehicle, but their tech support is knowledgeable and readily available at 858 386-5900.

FWIW, the customer service at Bilstein is OUTSTANDING. In comparison, Rancho has among the worst customer service I have ever experienced (condescending, dismissive and unhelpful). In fact, when I called to see if they could ID replacement bushings for the Rancho springs on my lift kit they said "That lift kit has outlived it's usefulness and we do not support it anymore and cannot even provide you with dimensions for the bushings. Sounds like it's time to just replace your outdated lift kit."

This is not the first horrible experience with Rancho, either. I have owned 3 or 4 sets of Rancho shocks over the years and none of them have lasted long....and if you cannot provide your ORIGINAL receipt, they will not warranty their product...even though it's a lifetime warranty and obviously their product. I know there are plenty of happy Rancho customers, but my experience with their product and customer service has been miserable.

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I run 5100's on my lifted F350SD and they are the best shocks I've ever had.

FWIW, the customer service at Bilstein is OUTSTANDING. In comparison, Rancho has among the worst customer service I have ever experienced (condescending, dismissive and unhelpful).
Duly Noted.

I have 5100's on the way but thinking the 4600 may be better. I will call Bilstein now.

BTW, "Pescaholic" is a great handle !

·
Registered
41 Posts
BTW, "Pescaholic" is a great handle !
It's a disease...:lol:

It was the name I came up with for my skiff...although it is in new hands now.

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Check it out.
Nick,

Yep. Pulled the old shocks and they are fine. It is the front sway bar link on the passenger side.

Heck of it is the previous owner upgraded from the factory shock already so the ones that are on there are Gabriel Max-Control 77809. This is advertised as a replica of the Bilstein 4600 HD.

I was in a hurry so I ordered the new Bilsteins before I pulled the old ones off. Now my option is to return the new Bilsteins and pay a re-stock fee or install them.

Anybody have experience with the Gabriel Max-Control in comparison to the Bilstein 4600 ?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts