The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was picking up some lumber, and a man pointed out that I was leaving four small trails of liquid on the concrete. When I opened the hood, fuel was skeeting out from the fuel bowl area in a fairly high pressure stream at about a 45 degree angle. I drove it home and it is parked until my shop opens Tuesday morning.

To add detail, it was skeeting out from the right side of the fuel bowl top or in that area.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong? I am terrified that it might be the fuel injection pump.

·
Premium Member
14,604 Posts
If you have a 2001, you don't have a fuel injection pump. Just a regular fuel pump on the driver's side frame rail. At the bowl, there are a half dozen connections. Any one of these could be your issue. You can buy a complete reseal kit from dieselorings - A complete Fuel Bowl reseal kit for the Ford 7.3L diesel filter canister 1999-2003
I would suggest upgrading to the Viton o-rings.

Make sure it's not just leaking at the cap. Those can be fairly hard to seal sometimes - a new seal comes with the filter, so if you haven't' changed that recently, now is a great time.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think also top of fuel bowl is indicative of cover gasket leak. I had a leak that was just the same as what you describe. But I had just changed the fuel filter so I either just didn't get a (good) seat or didn't tighten up enough. When was last time you (or someone else) changed the fuel filter? Maybe just needs a little tighten up. Of course as RT has said....There are a number of other rubber O-Rings that could be the cause/issue. If you have the ability I would get in there and see if you can find exactly where it's leaking from. Hint, you can have someone else turn the ignition key to ON position (no starting) and the fuel pump will run for a few seconds thereby pressurizing the system so you can stick your head/body into there without the risk of a running engine. PROTECT YOUR EYES!!! You might just be able to find & fix this leak yourself with minimal effort (hopefully). Replacing the (other) seals would be a little more involved. Best of luck DDT

1 - 3 of 3 Posts