The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to raise the idle speed while in gear without a chip/programmer? I live on the side of a Mtn with a steep-bumpy gravel drive. The wife can barely reach the petals, and every bump results in acceleration & wheel hop.
Was hoping to raise idle to around 1500rpm, then she could just "engage" high idle and steer.

·
Registered
393 Posts
My truck has the adjustable pedals so my wife can reach them even though she is pretty short ;)
Have you thought of pedal extenders/blocks?
I would think that a "high idle in gear" option would be a liability nightmare which is why no one makes one, however you could use an olde school choke cable/handle and connect it to the pedal. (yeah, I'm not a programmer). However, the potential for the truck to get away from someone is pretty high. Pedal blocks would be my recommendation.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
A chip with a high idle tune can be had for 250.

Possibly a ford aic module

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've been wanting the high idle for the AC when the dog has to sit in the truck. I did not know it would work while in gear. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
A chip with a high idle tune can be had for 250.

Possibly a ford aic module
I have an AIC and it will not function as a high idle in the application described.

It will only function when a 4R100 is in Park or a ZF6 is in neutral and parking brake applied.

Personally, i see any type of device described by the OP as having a very big downside risk unless it could be immediately shut off by tapping the brake pedal.

Has the cruise control been tried as an alternative?

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I've been wanting the high idle for the AC when the dog has to sit in the truck. I did not know it would work while in gear. Thanks.
It won't.

But an AIC would work great for what you describe of keeping the A/C running.

The originals can be operated as low as 1,300 RPM.

The later version as low as 1,200 RPM.

·
Super Moderator
26,497 Posts
Has the cruise control been tried as an alternative?
Cruise disengages when speed is below 35 MPH. Wish it was slower, personally. Probably won't work for the OP's needs.

I agree that pedal extenders would be the best solution. My wife has the same issue, but rarely drives the truck. I can't even comfortably sit on the passenger side when she has the seat jacked all the way forward.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Agreed that high idle in gear is a bad idea. Along the same idea, my cruise is very unsteady under 55.

·
Registered
393 Posts
How many f250s came with the adjustable pedals? Mine has them and the wife loves them. She can reach the pedals without having the steering wheel in her face.

·
Registered
393 Posts
True, but imagine the manufacturer that makes one that gets used instead of cruise?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think high idle on a chip in gear would work perfect depending on surface it will go about 10-15 miles an hour and im sure up hill it would be slower

·
Registered
393 Posts
Would have to be able to be shut down with the brake or neutral. But then again, I have too many lawyers in my life...Can't think about anything without thinking of liability :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts