The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My turbo shot craps and looking for options. I haven't tore into it yet so I don't know if it can be rebuilt or if I need a new turbo altogether. The blade spins for a bit then locks up so not sure what all damage is done on the inside. So my questions are if rebuild able what are some upgrades I can do. Just want to upgrade with little extra boost not not go hog wild. Been doing looking at previous post and there is information overload on where to buy parts. I'm sure there is a checklist of some basic things I would want when upgrading a turbo so any help in this area would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Won't know how bad it is until you tear it apart.

Check the turbine and compressor wheels and see if they got chewed up.

If so you will need a new shaft with turbine wheel.

360 thrust kit, new shaft and ww1 and call it good.

If you want a better compressor wheel go with a BD billet wheel, riffraff, or ww2.

Reactions: Greg687

·
Registered
89 Posts
i bought a center section from pure turbo.
simply take your housings off and install them on the new center.
was easy peazy.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was contiplating getting this. Good bad?

BDP Dominator 66 D66 Turbo w/ Billet Compressor Wheel
Since its for the pre 99 and bolt on an go. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
That will be terrible on stock injectors. You need 175/80 or bigger injector to spool it.

If staying stock injectors or stage 1's keep the stock turbo.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New Stock injectors a year ago.
Wouldn't the turbo only give the engine what it could handle in the way of boost? Little bigger turbo would be that bad would it?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
It would have no bottom end and all top.

It would spool about 2500rpm instead of 1600 rpm.

Forget towing with it, it would be pedal to the floor or no power.

there is a few things you can do to the stock turbo.

Billet comp wheel, non ebpv outlet, and tighten the wastegate down.

This will spool faster than stock and give a good bump in performance.
Lower egts about 200 degrees on the top end and give 5-8 psi more max boost.

Did you check yet to see if the turbine or compressor wheel got chewed?

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
It would have no bottom end and all top.

It would spool about 2500rpm instead of 1600 rpm.

Forget towing with it, it would be pedal to the floor or no power.

there is a few things you can do to the stock turbo.

Billet comp wheel, non ebpv outlet, and tighten the wastegate down.

This will spool faster than stock and give a good bump in performance.
Lower egts about 200 degrees on the top end and give 5-8 psi more max boost.

Did you check yet to see if the turbine or compressor wheel got chewed?
This^

Upgrading/rebuilding your stock charger will be a much greater investment considering you have a stock turbo. I generally don't recommend someone to something larger unless they have the fueling to back it up. If you are interested, we have WW2's on sale right now until Christmas day. I can also help out on parts for rebuilding and such as well.
As blue99stroker suggested, I'd pull the turbo and inspect it. that will let you know how extensive of work/repair you will have to perform on the turbo.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
^ The ww2 is a great upgraded wheel.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well Crap. Now you have me second guessing myself. THought I was making a good choice with the Beans turbo since it said stock replacement.
It still hasnt shipped yet so I could cancel the order.
I pulled my turbo off an the blades looked fine on both ends. I am assuming a bearing has gone bad or something because something prevents the turbo from tuning at all. it will drag in some areas then lock up all together. You mess with it long enough it will spin freely for a while then lock up again.
I want to upgrade with a little more power (who doesn't) I have the early 99 with the WW on it from factory. I really don't want to rebuild it due to I have no idea what the hell im doing. Im a gear head but somethings I just leave to someone who knows whats going on.
So you all are saying stick with the stock turbo even thought I have Jody tiptons tunes on the pcm? I know enough to be dangerous on some of this. Diesels still learning how it all really works together. Appreciate all the info in helping me make the right choice.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
It will be super laggy. If you go with stage 2 injectors it would be great, stockers not so much.

These Turbos are super simple. Get a 360 thrust rebuild kit from barder and use riffraff's rebuild guide.

rebuild it and throw a ww2, tighten the wastegate by shortening the rod and your set.

Max boost with your 80 econo tune will be 30-31 psi, diesel site lists 32 psi as a max for maximum longevity.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the D66 turbo on the truck. Talked to beans and they convinced me to go with it. Yes lots of lag but I can deal with that.
Sucks it doesn't make the whistle like it used to. Talked with Rifraffs and getting stage 1.5 or 2 injectors next. Hopefully It will make for a better driveable truck again. Yes I get the idiot award on this one for picking that turbo.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I got the D66 turbo on the truck. Talked to beans and they convinced me to go with it. Yes lots of lag but I can deal with that.
Sucks it doesn't make the whistle like it used to. Talked with Rifraffs and getting stage 1.5 or 2 injectors next. Hopefully It will make for a better driveable truck again. Yes I get the idiot award on this one for picking that turbo.
With the added fuel it will be better that's for sure. Keep us posted on how you like it! Stage 1.5's should make up some of that difference with the right tunes. I'm a t-4 mount guy myself, but not everyone wants to go through the hassles. :lol:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the Jody Tipon 80hp tunes on her right now. Hoping the injectors will give me my low in back. Going back an forth now with which one 1.5 or 2. Then wondering what will have to replace next.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
stage 1.5 or 160/30's are a great injector for a near stock truck. Should work good with that turbo

Stage 2's usually require more fuel and more oil.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So which would be better 1.5 or 2.0. was thinking the 2.0 but I am not sure if I went that way what i would have to replace or fix after i put the 2.0 in. Ordering one of the two here with in a couple days so would like input on which way to go on the injectors.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyone bought anything from rosewood diesel shop? Stage 2 injectors for 1235. Rif's 1695. Anyone have a better place ti get stage two injectors?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts