The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past year or more, I was getting the odd 'check engine light' which would take out my cruise control. I have had the full delete for a couple years as well, so I'd just use the Mini Max to delete the code, and off I'd go again. Eventually, after a long vacation run, and having to put up with the loss of cruise control over and over, I took the truck in...first to Ford here in Canada, who wanted $480. just to diagnose why this was happening! Overall, if I wasn't concerned about my cruise control I may have gone longer, as the engine ran perfect otherwise! So, I looked around and there is another location (Diesel shop) that deals with these issues whom has great reviews, albeit their compound was full of trucks with the 6.0, as they do 'deletes' as well as major repairs as well, and they'd do a diagnosis for $180.00.
As it turns out, the diagnosis found - at the bottom of my fuel canister they found tiny metal filings (apparently) but told me not to think the worst...albeit, it ended up that I needed 'the works' for them to warranty it for a year. So, the cab had to come off before they could get the work done, and even with 8 bays, they where swamped (saw Dodge and Chevy's in there as well) so it was a week before they could get started...so the truck sat there for the week.
I apparently needed a new high pressure fuel pump, and they change all the lines to the pump, as well as the lower pump. After nearly two weeks, it was done....so I went in to pay them and get my truck....initially. On the drive home the truck was hesitating and running rough...of which it had never done before....so, back I went. The did a quick diagnosis while I waited, and the result was that Ford sent them a 'bad' high pressure fuel pump!
So, another call to get a ride home...and with it now being a weekend, they wouldn't start on it until the Tuesday.
This time around, I'm getting a little anxious, as I knew a month prior to taking the truck in I had a vacation planned, so I needed my truck!
This time around, after not getting a call with the truck ready for pickup (again, on a Friday afternoon) I called, and they said the job was finished, and the tech was taking it for a test drive. He was still out with it when I got there, and he came in and talked to the 'main man' and said to him, it still wasn't running right, even with the new 'second' high pressure fuel pump (apparently Ford was now paying for the second pump install).
So, another call, to get a ride home, and leave the truck again....now we're a week away from wanting to go on vacation!
They now tell me, after all the work having been done, that I now also need all new injectors! So, I had to give them the ok to also do that, plus after the injectors being done, they'd reflash the ECM (computer).
After all that....yes, it runs like a charm finally....but all the input from my Mini Max was gone, so it was back to stock power, which I wasn't too happy about, thus I looked into it online, and found a site that explained that I should try and re-enter the Mini Max codes as I did when I put it in the first time when it was new! I did that, and albeit it took some time for it to download...it worked well, and I'm happy with the way it runs now.
Final bill, $11,500.00 for an '09 F450 with 110,000 miles! (Oddly, my truck 'use' to show the metric system on all gauges, but now shows the imperial system...so it's back to 'miles' of which I grew up with anyway. It was in the shop for over 3 weeks.
The biggest problem now is, I've lost confidence in my Ford truck, thinking that possibly (no guarantee) that this same high pressure fuel pump will again only get me 110K or so? Ford hasn't 'upgraded' these pumps, and there is no aftermarket pump that I know of which will replace it? I love the truck, in that it's mainly used for long excursions aka vacation usage, usually with a heavy Arctic Fox camper in the bed, and an 18' trailer behind with toys...but it's like a game of craps, where you have no idea when these components will break down again! Should we, as consumers have to put with that?
My old 7.3 diesel ran as good when I sold my truck, as the day I drove it new off the lot! I AM running a Standyne fuel additive now, which I only did occasionally before, to help with longevity....but I wonder if that added cost of an additive is really needed, or if it's more of an advertising gig to get us to buy a product? I can say, it's doubtful I'll own this truck for anywhere near as long as I did my previous pickup.

I saw another 6.4 Powerstroke being worked on (again, cab in the air) which happened to be a tow truck, and a small chunk of piston broke off, and trashed the cylinder pretty good. What caught my eye though, was they had the water pump off...and I was amazed at the mess that 'cavitation' had taken place, as it looked like someone had taken a shotgun blast to the aluminum that was there at the front of the block. So, keep your additive up guys/gals, as that sure looked like it would have been problematic at some point for sure!

·
Vendor
612 Posts
In my shop, the majority of our business is fixing other people's crap. More than half of our business comes from folks that have had their vehicles at other shops that couldn't/wouldn't/didn't fix it the first time, or try tried to fix it themselves.

In reading your tale, I'm very inclined to throw the BS Falg.

Where did the metal come from? Did you see it? Did they show it to you or take pictures? If there was an injector problem, why did they replace all of them? Tooooo much money without solid, firm answers to questions.

Sorry to be skeptical, but I've seen too much crapy work done by folks that are guessing with customer money.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In reading your tale, I'm very inclined to throw the BS Flag.
Sorry to be skeptical, but I've seen too much crappy work done by folks that are guessing with customer money.
I was wondering about some of this too, but I'm new to diesels, so wasn't sure.
I know if I had metal in fuel, I would have just replaced the pump (and fuel filter), and let the fuel filter do it's job...(on a gas machine)...don't see why it would be different on diesel.
As for injectors, I'm old school so I don't know much about if they can be cleaned instead of replaced...(filter fail & got clogged?)....

Anyway I'm with you...don't seem quite right...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts