The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello im brandon im new to all of this, i have a 2000 f350 ext cab long bed srw,

im gonna start this off by what happened and what ive done, and what im planning.

i was driving home truck was running perfect, made it on the road by my old house truck had ses light come on and it stayed on assuming maybe over boost code i continued due to being 2 miles from the house, 1 mile left and the whole passenger bank dropped out, so we limped it home and parked it, i have moved and we (2 months later) are going back to get the truck and bring it to its new home. LET me start this off by yes i understand there are numerous threads about this issue and that "some ones already been there and done that" so please i don't need any of the suggestions .

so i have previously replaced
ucvh
ipr
icp
ebpv delete and turbo rebuild with wicked wheel
was on ts6 moved to jeli built hydra
tensioner
belt
standard manintence
new batteries

due to this problem i replaced (all still under warranty and no $$ spent yet)
ucvh
ipr
icp
ohmed injectors out, ohmed them trough ucvh, ohmed them through idm connector
looked for rubbing or chafing on wiring harness swapped pcms and idms
paid for a brand new upgraded idm, i have auto engiutity, i have code print out/ screenshots which will be posted,

im making this thread to see if maybe someone has gone through like me and ran into a dead end after chasing all the threads, or maybe in hopes to find this and when i get this figured out will help them on their journey,
i have codes for fuel pump and some other minor ones that i know have been there, i have started a new job and the place ii work at just happens to have a 01 single cab 450 that ahd a bad trans and they are going to scrap, my next move is to pull the engine harness off of that truck and test that theory, my truck has 448k on the dash, buzz test has shown #7 injector, that injector has also ohmed at 2.5 compared to the 2.9-3.0ohms that 1,3,5 have ohmed at, trucks on a fresh oil change and all new parts listed above,

i appreciate all comments and concerns and am always willing to take advise as im a certified tech in the diesel field but we all know there's always more to learn, thanks very much!

,,,,,,,will not let me attach photos of my codes but i can type them in later.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and great job telling us about your truck. You've done all that I know to do, but the real experts will chime in soon

Reactions: brando7.3

·
Super Moderator
26,677 Posts
Post the codes you got. That will give us more to go on.
If a whole bank died, that points to an electrical problem in the injector circuits, but you also mentioned a fuel pump code (the only one available is monitoring the fuel pump relay secondary circuit - fuel pump not powered) so it could easily be a lack of fuel delivery. These engines will run without a working fuel pump as long as the fuel lines are tight and not leaking air into the system. But they will run like crap, barely able to move the truck.
But like I said, the codes you got are important to know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Post the codes you got. That will give us more to go on.
If a whole bank died, that points to an electrical problem in the injector circuits, but you also mentioned a fuel pump code (the only one available is monitoring the fuel pump relay secondary circuit - fuel pump not powered) so it could easily be a lack of fuel delivery. These engines will run without a working fuel pump as long as the fuel lines are tight and not leaking air into the system. But they will run like crap, barely able to move the truck.
But like I said, the codes you got are important to know.

my codes are, also the fuel pump code is due to my wiring harness failed and i need a quick fix during a raod trip so i made my own fuel pump circuit and switch, but visually can see through my gauge that the pump is building pressure

P0713 Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit High Input​

P1281 Injector Control Pressure Sensor Circuit High​

P1394 Glow Plug Circuit High Input (Bank 2)​

P0232 Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit High​

P0603 Internal Control Module Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error​
P1316 Injector Driver Module Codes Detected

P0741 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off​

P1740 Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Inductive Signature​

P1399 Glow Plug Circuit High Side, High Input​

P0732 Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio​

U1397 Unknown Trouble Code Description. Please see your factory service guides for more any information.​

·
Premium Member
15,215 Posts
The P1316 code tells you there are underlying injector codes stored on the IDM. Run the buzz test to reveal them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The P1316 code tells you there are underlying injector codes stored on the IDM. Run the buzz test to reveal them.
when i do that i get #7 high low/short

wondering if the harness on the idm/pcm to connector on valve cover has a bad spot in it that only shorts when power is put to it. i just used a donor truck for the harness on the engine but the truck was a 6speed and don't think that side of the harness will work, I've ohm tested it but I've seen where they will ohm test okay but wont test good with a voltage load,

·
Premium Member
15,215 Posts
If you're sure it's not under the valve cover, then check the harness where it drapes over the driver's side valve cover. That's a known spot for chaffing.

·
Super Moderator
26,677 Posts
If the UVCH isn't routed correctly, the wires can contact the pushrods and short out the injectors. But the top of the valve cover where the harness crosses is the top of the list of possibilities, as RT said.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're sure it's not under the valve cover, then check the harness where it drapes over the driver's side valve cover. That's a known spot for chaffing.
i thought so a a first possibility and checked them out but they weren't touching at all, even went as far as new ucvh's and got same results, looking at the connector over the valve cover thinking my problem is on that side of the harness, im getting to be at a loss and thinking im going to have to start parting the truck out,

·
Super Moderator
26,677 Posts
Did you check the contacts in the VC gasket. They can get corroded or burnt and if they don't make good contact could cause issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you check the contacts in the VC gasket. They can get corroded or burnt and if they don't make good contact could cause issues.

so i have found the problem and i don't think to many will believe me due to everyone telling me its impossible, but #7 injector has been the code that's been popping up through out this journey and so i had a spare truck at work and on a whim i replaced the injector and now the truck runs perfectly, i think the #7 was shorting and causing the idm to go into a safe protection mode or something like that, this is all after repairing the harness over the driver side and new ucvhs, new idm, new ipr and icp and a new engine side harness with a repin connector kit, #7 replacement was last on my list, when pulled i ohmed it on the table and it was 2.5 in the truck but was 2.2-2.0 ohms on the table.

·
Premium Member
15,215 Posts
Really glad you got it fixed. In the future (and for anyone else reading) you can swap the solenoids a lot faster and easier than swapping the whole injector.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really glad you got it fixed. In the future (and for anyone else reading) you can swap the solenoids a lot faster and easier than swapping the whole injector.

i apprciate your help, and i thought about that but the truck has 446k and so i figured i have a whole truck at work for parts and it had a alliant reman that was just put in and that it wouldnt hurt, thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.