The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
So my husband and I are brand new owners to a 2005 Ford F-350. We know about the issues some 6.0 can have and weighed the pros and cons and decided to go for it. We waited till we found the exact one we wanted. It only has 80k miles, one owner and had meticulous service records (all done at ford). And the price was great. We will be taking it to ford to get checked out and get our key pad reset. We plan to eventually have it fully or partially bulletproofed. But need to keep it running well till we get the money saved up.
What do we need to get looked at? Are there any things that aren't huge cost, that we can do as preventive measures? Any other tips for first time diesel owners? Thanks everyone!

Tell me any good stories you may have about your 6.0. How many miles do you guys have?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Glad you found a truck you're so happy with! What sorts of work has already been done to the truck? You mentioned you wanted to bulletproof it, are you planning on waiting until things go out out first? In the meantime I guess doing things like all fluids, and just continuing regular maintenance would be the best. How handy is your husband? What state are you in? Are you planning on deleting the EGR? That is a pretty simple and relatively inexpensive measure. Another good step would be to invest in a decent scan tool.

BTW, I have 2 2006 F250's. One with 48k miles, that has given me hell since day one. And one with 280,000 miles that's been a peach with the exception of a HPOP and injectors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gauges

the First thing i would do, is buy a ScanGuage II. relatively cheap, i paid $120 for mine, but the biggest thing with the 6.0 is to monitor gauges. if you go to youtube and search DieselTechRon, he gives the ones that you need to watch. aside from the scan gauge, if you plan to do any heavy pulling with it, get an Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT) Gauge installed if not already there. These trucks run high EGT's, and when pulling if its not monitored, things can go bad pretty quick, however, larger exhaust can help immensely with lowering EGT's, along with a Powermax Turbo, however those two items are a little on the pricey side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts