The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted an article highlighting our discussion with Ford representatives at the Virginia Rally. The article tells about future changes and some of the most common problems and complaints about our vehicles.

VA Rally Forum with Ford

Jason

------------------
Ford-Diesel.Com Webmaster
2000 F-350 Crew Cab Dually Lariat 6-speed 4x4
Black/Tan 4.10LS Fully-Loaded

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Thanks for a very informative article, Jason.

Did anyone there have any insight into the nature of the upgrades to the 4R100 transmission? The reason I ask is that a couple of friends of mine with PSD's want to chip their truck, but are concerned with increasing the power to an existing transmission that is already (seemingly) at its rated maximum. Did you get the impression that the tranny improvements being discussed for the 2001 trucks and the upped HP involved design spec changes or was it just a shifting change?

------------------
Kevin

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seemed to be mostly changes to the shift characteristics and that OD will now always be locked. I'd suggest looking at one of the chips that also changes shift points and/or speed.

Jason

------------------

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
jason,
When the mentioned the 275hp for the 6 speeds did they say how much the torque would be?

thanks
Jeremy

------------------
00 F-350 CC Lariat PSD 4x4 12-speed(US Gear OD) srw lwb Island Blue/tan "striaght piped"
99 F-250 S-cab Lariat PSD 4x4 6-speed srw lwb Emrald Green/tan "Straight piped" built 1-98
83 F250 4x4 XLT-Lariat 6.9IDI 4-speed, Emrald Green/dark grey

·
Registered
679 Posts
Jason, for those of us not in attendance
many thanks. Sounds like a great exchange!! Very interested in the proposed dealer "fix". It seems to me that is the weak link in the system. The mechanical problems will be engineered away.

No cackles out of 60 trucks, eh? Maybe the cackles held their own rally?

Dave

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Please add my thanks as well Jason.
Wish I could have been there, but it is spring, or is it summer?
Anyway, it is time to plant the corn

------------------
99.5,F-250SD,PSD,4X4 off road,manual hubs,LWB,
3.73LS,4R100,Lariat, TT, CP, all the toys plus DeLorme/IBM GPS
Born 5/99

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do remember them mentioning heated seats, but don't remember for what year. I didn't hear anything about gray leather, sorry.

Jason

------------------

·
Registered
162 Posts
Jason,

Thanks for the great article! You did mention that some of the 2001 changes slipped your mind, sooooo...
Any mention of gray leather and/or heated seats being offered on the Lariat?

------------------
99.5 F350 CC SB 4X4 PSD XLT 6sp White w/grey int Rhino lined 305-Goodyear AT's on Weld Roadhawks GitKit Born 4-12-99
www.gamefeeder.com

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to talk to these people. NO CACKLERS OUT OF 60??? Frankly, I'm not surprised
. I've always thought that most everyone who thinks they have the cackle confuse it with the normal PSD sounds. Ya either got the cackle (knock) or you don't. I have heard many PSD's w/o the knock out on the street and only a couple with it.

------------------
Troutly

2000 F-350 PSD 4x4 XLT CC SRW SWB Toreador Red with all the goodies pulling 2000 Formula 353 FASTech with HP500EFI's..aka "Crime Wave"

·
Registered
266 Posts
About the auto transmission, the tranny guy mentioned both in individual discussions and in the group session that a TSB is coming to add an intake cooler; i.e., having a cooler in the bottom of the radiator, along with the current air cooler. He said (I think) that it is going into production soon. They feel this will solve the low speed cooling problem, as well as get the fluid up to temperature faster. I believe there was also mention of a transmission temperature gauge coming in the future.

The tranny guy said that 250 oF is the not-to-exceed temperature, and that they like to keep it below 200 oF. He also said that using the pressure port on the side of the tranny will give a higher temperature than in the pan, but lower than in the line going to the cooler. I think he also said that their existing temperature sensor is near the side port, but I’m not sure.

He was also reluctant to recommend using synthetics. He said they did some testing with their own Mercon V and found it degraded some silicone seals. He said they haven’t tested other synthetics, so they may not have similar problems. He felt that the single best thing you can do to extend the life of the transmission is frequent fluid changes.

I wasn’t taking notes, but I believe the above is correct. Feel free to add or correct.

------------------
Brett T. Vincent '00 F350 XLT 4x2 CC LWB, Island Blue, PSD, Auto, 3.73 LS
Ordered 8/6/99. Serialized 11/19/99. Born 12/20/99. At dealer 12/23/99. Mine (wife's) on 12/27/99 :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Regarding the cackle, I asked several people if they knew of any cacklers at the rally, but no one did. I (and my wife) noticed 3 or 4 trucks that sounded distinctly different from the rest as they drove by. A couple of them were quieter, the others just different (I’m talking about the 99’s and up). I wanted a chance to hear a known cackler in person. I have heard what I think is the cackle (knock) a couple of times, but only for short periods. Being new to diesels, I’m not sure what I hear at 1500 to 1800 rpm is normal or not (I think it is).

After hearing all the PSD’s during the weekend, it sure sounded funny Sunday night and Monday morning to hear something that WASN’T a PSD go by!

------------------
Brett T. Vincent '00 F350 XLT 4x2 CC LWB, Island Blue, PSD, Auto, 3.73 LS
Ordered 8/6/99. Serialized 11/19/99. Born 12/20/99. At dealer 12/23/99. Mine (wife's) on 12/27/99 :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
I also remember hearing about heated seats and heated mirrors but I don't think that was until 2002 timeframe. They also asked who would be willing to pay extra to have an Allison transmission. With all of the complaints about the transmissions, I was the only one to raise a hand for that question.

------------------
1999 F250, Hunter Green, XLT, Auto, SC, SB, SRW, 4X4, Tow & Off-Road Package, Pace Edwards Roll-Top cover. Built 6/98. 2001 F-350 Island Blue on order.
1998 Wilderness 28' 5th Wheel Trailer & a spoiled rotten Dalmatian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts