The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went to the far corner of Arkansas to pick up this little beauty!

1996, auto, XLT, all power locks/windows work, AC blows cold, mild oil leak, 4x4 works (hubs somehow even work) and at a ridiculous price i couldn't pass up, and the dang body is better than my '97!

Only one real bad dent there on the passenger fender, hopefully local body guy can fix it

Interior is weirdly good shape for 379,000, but driver side door panel is split, so i gota start hunting that

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Now that is a great find. Always liked gray & white. Congratulations!
Thanks! Its weird tho, in the pictures, the interior is opel grey, but in person it looksike lapis blue... i need to order a new pad and not sure what to order...

come on give it up what did you pay?
The chevy equivalent 😊

With an interior that nice & that many miles, must have been some highway miles involved and a good owner that took care of it.
Owner was an old man, died and wife was driving it and backed it into a bollard / bumper at a gas station?

Dunno for sure on that, but she said it was just to much with diesel prices and it was just too big for her

Truck is tired, so i was planning on Lpop and probably hpop as well, look at fuel pressure, cuz im sure thats around 35psi lol
Got the red boot off and side-to-side barely any play, then thrust and the thing felt like it was about to pull out of the turbo lol, seriously like ⅜ of play in it

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
noticed something odd after the trip, about 600 miles of towing right at 1,000* the whole way thanks to a headwind

I was at 2500 miles on my oil change before the trip, now when starting after the engine is up to normal temps, a hot restart can have up to 4 seconds of cranking and the LPOP isn't getting oil that whole time. After it starts, it surges to 900 rpm for just a moment, and then settles back down to normal 600. Cold restart after like 6 hours of cooling, it fires right up normally after a second of cranking.

this is the first time doing a long tow with high EGTs since the new injectors/turbo/hydra. Im guessing the oil has sheared/deteriorated from the sustained heat then because of the way its acting hot vs cold?

im going to do an oil change today and im betting it goes back to normal, but still kinda curious

also, what EGTs do you all run when towing? best guess with the heavy trailer and truck I was probably around 14,000lbs CGVW, and was seeing 950* into a headwind on pretty level ground,
1200* spikes up decent hills
all in 5th gear at about 1900 rpm
boost was 5 on the flat and 15 up the hills
3.73 gears and 355/70/16 tires
was about 83* outside
mild tow tune on the hydra
238/80% hybrids
KC tiger turbo with 1.00 hot side

is it just me, or does this seem alittle high on the EGTs?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts